B183/B283AV differences: Neve newb (bewb?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradzatitagain

What is the difference between the B183 card and the B283 card? Differences between versions of the B283 card? I'm guessing topology, but perhaps circuitry?

rgrds,
Brad

I believe the differences are all in board layout and a few component changes, not in circuitry. I have a two channel preamp with one of each and I can't detect a sonic difference. The differences in 283 cards usually have to do with whether they're fully stuffed. In some locations they were used half-filled. I don't know if there were other variations.

Im with seth, I have a 183 and I cant hear a difference from the 283 once they are recapped. The layout is different, there is a different heat sink on the output transistor and the trimmer is different but it doesnt add up to any sonic difference that I can hear. The 283's are easier to desolder than the 183 not that that should mean anything.

dave

$45 for a B183 card sound about right? D.A. sells these for $65 but he kinda sets his own price whether it's what the market will bear or not.

Let me see if I can swing this to a 1290 conversation briefly: EN10041 shows a B183AM and the N and J parts of a B189. From the schematics the N sections of both the 189 and the 183 are identical. M section of 183 is obviously different than the J section of the 189, which is just two N sections of either card on one card. So, a 1290 in the absence of a B189 would need 3 B183 cards, or am I missing something?

I promise I'll read as much as I can find on the 1073/1064 before I start w/that interrogation...

I have some 1272 modules at the studio where I work.

some other differencies are:

B183

2N3055 Transistor  is a "New market"
other Q are BC109 and Bc108 I think
output transformer says L131167

B283

2N3055 Transistor  is a "Motorola"
output transformer is L01166/A

by the way does anyone knows where could I buy a B183 or B283 PCB for a good price??
is anyone making them?

I would like to replace one of the old boards, its in pretty bad shape.

Latest posts

Back