Back Up your computer files..... right now

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorris@home

Boy am I sure glad I do all the time! just had my work drive start corrupting files. Good thing I always end the night updating the storage drive AND I have a folder on my system drive that I copy works in progress to. Phew!

This can be a life saver! I was working on a project once. I had put 3 hours into programming some drums, getting everything just right. Then I decided to go through my drive and delete all my bounce files that I didn't need. I didn't realize that I had also accidentally deleted the project! Don't know how I did it, but luckily it was nice and safe on my back up drive. Lucky!

It only takes one drive failure or one accidental deletion to learn that important lesson.  That is why I keep my files on up to 3 different hard drives at one time.  Then I make my clients buy a drive for their master files and tell them to copy it to their own backup. 

I think I'll burn some DVD backups today. 

I think that backing up computers is overrated.  I've been using these same hard drives and sdi(3# 9

344r

f

***# oo

MikoKensington said:
It only takes one drive failure or one accidental deletion to learn that important lesson.  That is why I keep my files on up to 3 different hard drives at one time.  Then I make my clients buy a drive for their master files and tell them to copy it to their own backup. 

I think I'll burn some DVD backups today. 

+1

All I can say is tape machines rocks in computer business as well as in corner of our control room.
My tape changer robot configured to take nightly backups saved my ass couple days ago when one of our guys connected FW800 back to raid stack - upside down  :eek:

Yes, it is possible.

Result was one fried hard drive, one fried raid controller, and bit more than 1TB of session files gone less than 1ms.
Quick solution was to put 2TB disk in the computer and restore all from backup tapes. It took 18 hours...

-Paavo

when i have to buy one hard drive, i buy 2, with same capacity, and the second is the back up of the first, for the work in progress, i have 3 copy on 3 differents drive, ALL TIME!!!

I have a synology nas with 2x 1tb in raid config (parallel) so that when 1 disk crashes the other has the data. I have a 1.5tb external drive connected that bmakes an incremental backup of that drive every evening in case they both fail. I'm also thinking of setting up a simple nas at a friends place that makes a backup over the net so that when there is a fire i still have all my files.
Never trust 1 back-up and NEVER trust a hdd!

just wondering... anyione have experience with SSD's already? i'm about to upgrade to win7 and i'm thinking of buying a SSD but it doesn't feel good in some kind of way. To me a regular hdd will give you errors and rattling noise giving you a sign that it's time to take action but i think SSD's just die on you without any notice.. or am i just paranoid?

riggler said:
Hey I gotta say Time Machine for OS X actually works pretty well for me. Easy to setup too.

Yep, works as advertised.
If your machine takes a dump, dig out the OS install disk, boot from it, and choose to restore from Time Machine Backup and you're where you were the last time a backup took place.

Others advocate cloning the boot disk with Carbon Copy Cloner to a bootable disk or disk image.

For larger storage (things like the iTunes library, photos, the piles of data sheets and software installers I've collected over the years), I have a Drobo connected to my iMac via FireWire 800.

Of course if your house burns down, you need off-site storage.

-a

[quote author=JohnRoberts] ...my mass storage drive is hard wired so not cool enough for the mac to find. [/quote]

http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubuntu-as-mac-file-server-and-time-machine-volume/

;)

-Paavo

JohnRoberts said:
Time machine on my Mac mini will only save to a wireless backup... my mass storage drive is hard wired so not cool enough for the mac to find.

Huh? Time Machine will back up to a FireWire or USB drive connected to the machine.

-a

JohnRoberts said:
Time machine on my Mac mini will only save to a wireless backup... my mass storage drive is hard wired so not cool enough for the mac to find.

JR

Unless something has changed drastically I don't believe this is the case. I have a Macbook Air on 10.5.6 and back up with Time Machine to an external USB 2 drive.  It is not a cool drive, in fact it's quite unfashionable  :)

Try "Change Disk" in Time Machine preferences and make sure your backup disc has enough space.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Back