Mystery: Dept Of Commerce RSA-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushy

Not sure what to make of this, but I got it at a price that made it worth it for the chassis and iron alone... Maybe...

It's obviously a broadcast piece, so the transformers may not be full range, but here's hoping...  The iron is labeled with sequential numbers, leading me to believe that what I am seeing aren't actual model numbers, but three if them do have the UTC logo on them.  What I was told was that there was an FM modulator in there somewhere and that it doesn't pass audio of any kind.  The UTC iron is labeled:
  • C-1337
    K-283
  • C-1338
    K-284
  • C-1339
    K-285

The nonbranded transformer reads SA-4894 and there is another that looks to be identical but isn't labeled.

I haven't had time to test/trace anything yet, so my question is, does anyone have any clues on this one?  A schematic?  A transformer cross reference?  Anything?
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I would not power it before a re-cap.  It's the right thing to do.
I have no specific info, but you can get the cap values and replace those whilst you search for specific info.  All those square boxes can be replaced with Sprague Orange-drops, and you can go a little higher in C or V when sourcing the can multi-caps.
Mike
PS: Looks like you found Kid A for the design of those recent API-made equipments.  Goodonya!

That's the UTC logo.  A hell of a nice pile of oil caps. 

"Real broadcast" is always full range. 

Dept. of Commerce gear is not "real broadcast", it's "communications", and may be limited in response, if even audio. 

The front is styled like some RCA test gear. 

That's the UTC logo.
Stupid iPhone spell check.  I'll correct that.
A hell of a nice pile of oil caps.
Well, they may wind up on the Black Market when all is said and done. Stay tuned
I would not power it before a re-cap.  It's the right thing to do.
Agreed.  I don't have any plans to put the spurs to her any time soon.  Not in it's current form, anyway.  ;)

I'd still like to know more about it.  I'll reverse it when I get some time.

Back