good thread at another forum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=87086.0

Read R.G.'s posts.

My take [ not on the liability part ]

I dunno , it's like how they take away all the big slides and merry 'go'rounds from the playground
we got a trampoline and people say  " oh , you don't have a net ? "
the first time you jump close to the edge you go  " wow "
and figure it out , it's called learning
I hate the buzzing shocks of A.C. and the Zaps of D.C.
so i go like a lab and take my time to avoid them
[ can't seem to hold probes steady though ]
so scared that you never get anything done  ,
or cautious & prepared , knowing what to expect ?

okgb said:
Don't carry cash & walk after dark downtown

Yeah, a mate of mine was "mugged" getting cash from a machine last week

..... they won't be doing that again in a hurry as he's ex SAS and kicked the shit out of them !!!

MM.

MartyMart said:
okgb said:
Don't carry cash & walk after dark downtown

Yeah, a mate of mine was "mugged" getting cash from a machine last week

..... they won't be doing that again in a hurry as he's ex SAS and kicked the Sh*t out of them !!!

MM.

Remind to check peoples credentials before I mug them.

People have to think for themselves.
However, once they receive help, somehow the self-thinking mechanism shuts down.
Main voltage stuff is most of the time not very complicated BUT the most dangerous.
Always tricky to see questions from people asking how to wire that mains switch with lamp for example.
This is simple stuff and should not be done when you don't have figured this out your self.
Following instructions when you don't know what you're doing is almost as dangerous as just beavering away while not knowing what you're doing...
Learn how to use a DMM and wear thick rubber gloves when poking around and in doubt...

That's true - my first high voltage builds were a couple of amps about 8 years ago.

( my father was an electrician for some of his life and I had studied to be one aged 17 but went with music instead )

I followed the "one hand / chopstick" rule and was VERY respectful of those voltages.

Test .... Test and re-test that your juice is only going where it should be !!
and if there's any "doubt" at all just get a pro to do it.

MM.

Yeap, my dad was a spark too and I started my "shocking" encounters with the electricity at a very early age. My eldest bro was worse apparently. That's what my mom says. When he was about 8 he used to gather his friends in our house and poke a nail into the wall socket as his "live" show. I am serious. So we all cheated death at some point in our lives but my closest one was that, I was about fourteen or fifteen and we were replacing the street lights in a hospital grounds. The power use to be turned off during the day when we were working and turned back on at 5:00PM, at which time we had to be off the lamp posts. I completely forgot and carried away. As part of the procedure I connected the earth first, then neutral and then rested on the live line and connected the live. Saw the light on and thought  "good, working". It was only when I was coming down the step ladder I realised "oh f***". Because I missed the deadline the power was put back on. It was only by pure luck that I did not touch any metal parts while I was wiring. So it's good to be here after over thirty years.

Latest posts

Back