live room / vocal room wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEMO1

soo... we're building a small live room at our studio. I got the task to figure out the audio wiring to the control room since I'll be installing it eventually. I'd like to ask some input.

- there is a possibility that one day we could record some drums in there in case of an emergency.... 16 mic lines?
- add some guitars and bass and whatnot to that... 4 trs lines and 4 ts for DI?
- I guess they need some headphones aswell... maybe a headphone amp in the room, so I guess 2 stereo lines could be enough.
- some lines from the control room to the live room, let's say 4 xlr and 4 trs?

- additionally we wanted to feed a hdmi line to get a monitor IF theres ever any dubbing jobs for tv work, and add a usb line to that...

am I going into the right direction or is there something im completely missing. any input is appreciated.

Sounds fine, i would chuck  a usb and midi cable through also while your there. Oh and some earth wire for grounding the wall boxes. That will probably want to link to your control room patchbay or console.
Basically stick loads of cable down there now whilst its easy to do so, adding cables after is always a pain.

Don't forget a pair of CAT5 (for example for an Auviom system and DAW remote control) and a pair of video cables for visual foldback.
I wouldn't really do the TS lines unless the cable length is less than 15 ft; guitars are Hi-Z and the long cables will suck the HF response, use DI's on mic cables. For synths, I would use balanced wiring too (even if the synth output is unbalanced).
I've been in your situation, had 16 lines, I had to draw another 8, and 2 CAT5 for the Furman headphones system. I wished I had at least one more CAT5 for remote control and some video cables (I had to use a wireless video, which is not that nice).

yeah, cat5 is probably one of the most useful things you can run.  it's cheap, and you can do a ton of stuff with it.  A couple of baluns and you can send composite video down it, or even HDMI/DVI video.  I use mine for USB all the time with a couple of boxes I picked up on ebay.

pucho812 said:
avoid using conduit pipe for your wires.  can cause more problems then solve more problems.

QUEEF BAG said:
pucho-  like what?

1. have to run cables through  conduit before adding connectors unless you use a large conduit pipe.

2. if the ends are not sealed properly can cause acoustic problems in the control room. For example years ago at westlake when doing room tuning, the average decay of one of the control rooms was short. there was an  exception for around 200HZ which was caused by one of the conduits and that it was not sealed properly. think blowing on a bottle and producing a tone.

3. once your conduit is full now what? what if you need to add more lines?

I find it best to just cut a trench in the floor do your wiring then add removable panels on top of it with acoustic material in between trench and removable floor.. makes it much easier all around...

thanks pucho,

yeah, I discussed 1 & 3 with the constructor already. we're making the conduit with also the future in mind.

(it's pretty awesome to have 2 constructors as partners in the company (they also do some sound work though). the amount of money that we save is pretty sweet.)

Back