IC Socket question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
Hi Guys, i was just curious of something, nothing much, i've bought some Tyco IC socket these one:
http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tyco-Electronics/1825093-2/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs/Sh/kjph1tvt1/mEPT/XobbGBNF6ZVuY%3d

And now that they are in my hands i feel like those are doing their job of course but they could be the ones that will not keep the IC tight enough in there, for if the gear is taken on the road etc..
I remember having those Mill-max brands not the same price tough, but the round holes made a tight grip for IC's, for ex:
http://fr.farnell.com/mill-max/110-13-308-41-001000/dip-socket-8pos-through-hole/dp/1228466

Anybody had some weird experience with the Tyco style sockets? Or i'm making too much fuss, just curious. :)

I never had any problems with those 'cheap' IC sockets  They are used in a lot of commercial equipment.
Only after many times having pulled/inserted an IC, they do not fit as tight as in the beginning.
Also it will matter how thick the pins of the inserted IC are. But the other (more expensive) type will certainly be better!

Yes machined tool are better, well too bad anyway will use the Tyco that i have without pulling out IC's too much, should be good over time. You live you learn. Thanks for the inputs.

I've had better results with those "clamping" type sockets on sil ic's.
THAT vca's will not be tight enough in some types of machine turned ic sockets

Those are great sockets! Nothing at all to worry about. I always use a little bit of Caig Labs DeoxIT when there is tin on the IC pin. That stuff is great for tube sockets too; makes 'em go right in.

The main advantage to the machine pin sockets is that they form a gas tight connection and avoid the corrosion problem.  On the down side, they are no good for a board that is going to be washed, because there is no way for flux residue to wash through the socket. Sometimes they are also made of non-melty material and that can be an advantage. Stamped pin sockets are nearly always melty.

I honestly can't imagine any quality socket having a problem retaining an IC, unless the board is really thin and subject to lots of twisting.  The things that I have seen work loose from a socket were never meant to be there. An example that I've seen often are those IDC ribbon connectors that look like a chip.  The pins on those things were meant to be soldered to a PCB and not inserted in a socket; the pins are not the correct dimensions to hold well.

Just one info, i usually use a pin straightener for my IC's and for use with machined sockets, but for these cheap solution i think it's best not to straighten the pins, but just insert it, it makes the pins tightly fixed in the socket, that's why my first impression was not as good as those machined ones....

Latest posts

Back