Quad panning with a joystick

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parisonj

I need to track down (or build) a quadraphonic panner using a joystick for use in live PA situations. I intend to feed an input signal from a mixer subgroup so I can choose which signal(s) to process. The four outputs would go to 4 spare input channels, or subgroup returns.
Does such a device exist, which isn't overly expensive? - i.e. I don't need support for anything above quad, like 5.1, nor do I need flash displays and the like.
Failing that, are there any schematics around, using, say a quad VCA chip?
I have seen two such models, the Pink Floyd Azimuth Co-ordinator being one of them, but they were custom made.
Thanks.

P+G do joysticks - prolly dear tho...

http://www.pennyandgiles.com/products/products.asp?strAreaNo=402_9

if you need one 'without memory" or motors, rip open a playstation controller. Voila, joysticks with variable resistors underneath that you can hook to a basic micro (like an 8051) and then control a 4 channel PGA4311 with it.

Wait... 4 inputs and how many outputs?

I'm really after an analogue solution - I don't have facilities for microcontroller programming.

The unit would have one input and four outputs. My post was referring to the I/O on a mixer to which it was connected.

I know that analogue devices exist (like the SSM2018), but I really have no idea how I would interface it, in terms of audio I/O buffering. Presumably I would need to derive a voltage from each axis of the joystick, which would provide the VCA drive voltage for one pair, and some sort of inverse voltage go to the other pair, so that as one VCA goes up, the other goes down.
There is then also the issue of the pan-centre attenuation - I think most commercial mixers employ a 3 to 4.5dB drop in the centre to give a compromise between voltage- and current- driven designs.

Latest posts

Back