Ordered my new CNC machine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Sorry to post this... but I'm so excited!

I've been blathering on to anyone and anyone that'll listen about how much I want a CNC machine.

I even started making by own (got some plumbing pipe together to make a frame etc). And then I thought f*ck it! I need to buy a kit, ready made, get it up and running, and then I can build a bigger one, using the small machine.

So - I've ordered a 7" x 7" kit from http://www.zentoolworks.com/
The current plan is to use this one for basic panel duties, as well as build my pick and place machine with it.

Does anyone here have experience with the feeders for pnp machines?

What, it looks relatively inexpensive!
Please keep us posted on the progress, let us know how it works out!
:D

Thank you Jackies --

I'm going to start off with a simple pnp head and fixed spaces for strips of smd parts. (i.e. strips of 20 parts).
I'll import basic centroid data from eagle, then create the gcode from the excel file. (manually to start off with, then try and write a macro).

Cheers

/R

WTF?? A CNC machine for $330, how is that possible?

Do let us know how it works out.
I agree with this being a no-brainer purchase over building your own.  You will save $330 in development time alone!

Good stuff. Looks like a great bargain. I had two German Isel machines. They are also marketed in US as Techno-Isel. One of the machines was a small DaVinci. The other one had a table size of 1000mm x 1200mm with a Z of 175mm. Couple of years ago I was shutting down part of my building and got rid of them for literally nothing. I missed them a lot but had to be done to save from the business rates. We did great stuff with them. From model boat hulls to equipment panels. For pcb prototyping do not expect it to churn out things in a couple of minutes but it is the convenience of it. You don't have to wait for two weeks for a prototype  and no tooling charges. Congratulations.

So - $530 got me:

Frame, motors, spindle, bits etc.

Only thing I need are stepper motor drivers.
(I work for a semiconductor manufacturer... Not a problem)

So - for $550, I should be sorted.

When you say stepper motor drivers you actually mean the controller. Now, you have to make sure the controller you buy has the post processor for the software you will use in its library.  I would say if you bought the machine from them then buy the controller and the software package from them too. Stick to one supplier so that when you have a problem they can help you.

We used to use M.a.s.t.er.C.a.m. I still have it. However, there is a much cheaper and eaiser software called Galaad. Check it out. It may run on that machine too. 12V (Frank) is also getting a CNC. He may chime in.

Does look like a great deal.
I've been seriously considering getting into diy cnc too.
Need to do 48 panels for our console, that alone almost justifies buying one...
spotted this the other day. To good to be true?
Some dodgy photo shopped pictures also.

Might ask the guy if he can do one with 20inch X axis for rack panels.

Ptownkid said:
...I like how he claims that a 3 axis can do "3D"...while sort of true, pretty misleading description.
No not really. One of the industry leading 3D softwares is only for 3-axis machining. It is a little surprising, but quite true. http://www.artcam.com/

In know when I got my first machine, about 8 years ago, a single user seat of AlphaCAM was $9K alone. The price of this little machine is truly remarkable. The darned supposed "industrial computer" on mine was $2500 to replace. Thankfully, I have never had to do it, knock wood. I am in the midst of moving the spindle from the 3-axis to 5 as the 5's spindle went down with bearings. There's only one place in the US that is "factory authorized" to rebuild these 15 horse liquid cooled spindles. The cost for a rebuild is a little over $8K. At auction, my 20' long table machine would be lucking to fetch $15K right now. Sad...

What is it's reposition accuracy? That will be a major key especially for PNP work. Nice find though! that price is amazing!  :eek:

Best, Jeff

Yeah I know but, you have to admit, it is incredible what can be done with a 3-axis machine! I was very surprised to find out that most of the 3D software was only 3-axis.

Some controllers cannot support simultaneous XYZ moves only XY.

At one point 5 or 6 years ago I wanted to buy ArtCAM because it looks like fun. Once I found out it did not produce 5 axis code, I got uninterested pretty quick. It just seemed wrong but it does produce some really cool looking work.

Latest posts

Back