FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckus328

PLEASE SEE PAGE 6 FOR PREORDERING.

Note: Going through some marketing mumbo jumbo:  Official release name of this design is now the SA-3A.

This was supposed to be a secret, I've been working on it for over a month now, some of you already know about it but most don't.  Just ran it by Peter, and since he just unleashed his 51X version today I thought I'd do the same with my 2U design and make today the day of the LA-3A's.

For you guys that don't have a lunchbox, I present to you my new 2U LA-3A design, aka the SB-3A.

SB-3A_Assembly_Alt_Render.jpg

SB-3A_PCB.jpg

Highlights:

It can be built as a single mono or dual mono with stereo link and share the power supply from the first board (power supply is located on-board).

Plenty of room for polypro caps in the audio chain.

Transistor pair in the audio chain can be either matched 2N5089's like in the original, LM394, MAT02, or MAT12 (which are now in production - I have a couple samples on the way).

Circuits/voltages were kept very faithful to the original for all you audiophiles, with the following minor enhancements:

-True bypass added
-Power supply was changed to modern regulators to allow for use with a standard toroid.  Also more stable this way.
-There original is sort of wiring intensive, with alot of shielded wire, daisy chaining switches/pots, and tacking on resistors on the pot tabs, etc.  For my version - the wiring was very simplified and cut in half with the addition of a couple relays.  All components now mount on-board and all pots/switches wire directly to and only to the board.
-The infamous "mod" was incorporated and is switchable.  
-HF cutoff moved to the front and you can either mount a pot on the front panel, or put the pot on board and put a switch on the front to toggle between "flat" and a HF Boost.
-Output terminated with 600ohm onboard.

Dam you ! a race to the finish ?
this ensures i'll be building at least one version
[ like i need more to finish or pay for ]
A kit will go a long way to making it easy for the lazy
or ensuring completion for the busy

okgb said:
Dam you ! a race to the finish ?
this ensures i'll be building at least one version
[ like i need more to finish or pay for ]
A kit will go a long way to making it easy for the lazy
or ensuring completion for the busy

Haha, nah, no races.  Like I said for the 51X crowd it looks like Peter's well on his way with a wonderful project.

hey cudos for putting the compress/limit switch on the front along with the others that normally reside on the back.

now did you plan these with the ed evens/bob clearmountain mods?

pucho812 said:
hey cudos for putting the compress/limit switch on the front along with the others that normally reside on the back.

now did you plan these with the ed evens/bob clearmountain mods?

Thanks!  Yea, I did alot of researching and tried to address the common gripes people seem to have.

See above - mod included and switcable.

dandeurloo said:
oh geeze.. another amazing project.

does it operate as dual mono and stereo?  Also, does it only use 1 tb4?

The board is mono, so you can build either a mono unit or dual mono with stereo link.  Dual mono would require 2 boards and all the associated components, however I designed it so you can daisy chain the second board off of the first boards power supply, saving you some bucks with having to have a power supply on each board.

Surely two opto's?  

Man, another great compressor to build, you guys are KILLING ME!

Oh man, you guys are too much! Will this kit be a full enchilada like the SB4000? And is there an ETA? I may as well plan which bank I'm gonna hit, err, withdraw money from now...

Aaaargh ! I don't need another comp ;)

But of course I'm interrested in this one  :)

Great work !

I'd prefer to buy just the pcb and then maybe a pack of matched transistors and
some "hard to get parts" (if there are any in this project). But whatever you guys come up with is of interrest.

Back