Anyone heard of a V77?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich

Anyone heard of a V77? This dealer said they were like a V76 except a little bit clearer sounding. Is this a good sounding pre?

I have a pair, it is not a V76 I'll tell you that much. They sound ok if you are into tube pre's, its more or less a higher gain V72. Wierd that V72 with 32 dB of gain got the rep, these are actually usable pres with about 65 dB of gain or so, maybe more, and they sound like v72's, so they dont sound bad at all, just not as creamy sounding as you would expect a v76 to be. They arent as murky sounding as a v72 but arent as clear sounding as a v72a if that means anything to you. I dont know what the original application was for these, but they work fine as mic pres.

dave

soundguy,

That is the best avatar ever!!!

she's got some serious booty.

I wonder if she knows how to solder?

Jeff

No soldering iron required. Just swedge it between the cheeks!

The V78 is getting popular for some reason. Fletcher told Ollie to build one and now it's available.
You might be able to turn the 77 into something, but I think it was just a playback amp or something. I have to check the schemo.

[quote author="soundguy"] They arent as murky sounding as a v72 but arent as clear sounding as a v72a if that means anything to you.

dave[/quote]

I don't mean to be rude but this description kind of throws me, to me murky and clear are two opposite adjectives?

Was this pre ever used as a mic pre in a Telefunkin console?

Telefunken didn't make consoles, almost nobody did in the modern sense - in those days you designed your signal path around commercially available modules for different functions, had some carpenter build you a console frame and you had somebody else wire everything together. V76s were the mic amps usually, V72s were the line amps, all of the other modules had different specific functions. Also, V72s and V72as are different animals - they have different tubes and they sound different. There's a pretty good description of the different kind of modules in this series on the mercenary audio web site. I think it's called Fletcher's Guide to Vintage Audio.

the v77 is similar in design to the v77 the step up ratio in the input transformer is twice that of the v72. uses ecc804 and there is the ability to swith gains from 40db 50db and 60 db with a 2 pole triple throw switch kubi has the schematic fr the w77 with is the variable gain module that works with it. I have a pair aI like them Wil

Wilebee

alright...
all modules in the V7x modular range are top quality with every respect. as for mic pre's, V72, V72a, and the V76 and V77 versions sound great in their own right. comparisons may reveal differences, both due to difference in circuitry BUT also due to ageing. which is best depends on the app and on personal taste IMO.

V76 has 4 tube stages insted of 2 in all the other pre's. this is because of the hi/lo-cut filter, after which stages 3 & 4 serve as a buffer and o/p amp.
due to this filter, freq. response gets those little bumps in the hi and lo end just before the cutoff freq's, which some people really like and find characteristic. the filter also is available in an extra passive module called W75k. very rare, though.
with the external gain switch w77 (combined pad and NFB control, just like V76 or the SS models Vx76), you can dial in a wide variety of gains.
function (not sound-) wise the v77 provides enough gain for dynamic mic's just like the v76, but sinply without equalization.
in older consoles from the 50's, the V72 was used as an all-purpose amp - mic pre, splitter, buffer, o/p. V530 being summing amp's. later on, V76 / 77 were used as pre's, V74/74a as splitter amp's, V72 as buffer / other purpose, V75 for summing, etc...
V78 is merely a talkback amp, with limited freq response IIRC. which doesn't mean it can be modded.... but maybe limited by the different i/p xformer...

Latest posts

Back