WRA HZ51X - Recording-DI for 500/51X series - FEELER CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pacemaker said:
You guys are laughing at me don't you , ;-)
I was just guessing this because of HZ1 HZ2 etc etc..

Well, if it makes you feel better, you were right about the Hi-Z plugins!

It's a 500/51X series recording DI box essentially. It's meant to be placed between a microphone and a preamp.
It uses the Classic API and [silent:arts] Hi-Z plugin format. There are four 1/4" inputs for four Hi-Z plugins. The inputs have a priority system in place so that there can never be two active inputs at a time. The logic circuit also makes sure that the microphone signal gets fed right through to the preamp when no instruments are plugged in to the front panel.

There are also two switches:
- The first one is a MIC input selector (DI defeat).
- The second one is a DI output pad.

What do you guys think?  :)

shabtek said:
now I am really excited! I'll be in for 3 if a more detailed rendering is posted.

seriously , I was guessing headphone distro amp.

haha.. I was actually thinking Hi-z Plugin Di Adaptor or something like that...  :p

mikefatom said:
pacemaker said:
You guys are laughing at me don't you , ;-)
I was just guessing this because of HZ1 HZ2 etc etc..

Well, if it makes you feel better, you were right about the Hi-Z plugins!

It's a 500/51X series recording DI box essentially. It's meant to be placed between a microphone and a preamp.
It uses the Classic API and [silent:arts] Hi-Z plugin format. There are four 1/4" inputs for four Hi-Z plugins. The inputs have a priority system in place so that there can never be two active inputs at a time. The logic circuit also makes sure that the microphone signal gets fed right through to the preamp when no instruments are plugged in to the front panel.

There are also two switches:
- The first one is a MIC input selector (DI defeat).
- The second one is a DI output pad.

What do you guys think?  :)

Oh and I forgot to mention that this project can take full advantage of the 24V rail available in a 51X rack. Each module can run off of 16V or 24V.  8)

Excellent Volker' !!
And mike very good job !
A multi DI is a very good project,
But i think i would have prefered One input and switchable
different audio path, so as you can plug your instrument and compare circuits
in order to choose the best,
But it's also possible to unplug and replug ,
Anyway, congrats on this new 51X baby !
The family become bigeger and bigger !
Regards,
Francois

pacemaker said:
Excellent Volker' !!
And mike very good job !
A multi DI is a very good project,
But i think i would have prefered One input and switchable
different audio path, so as you can plug your instrument and compare circuits
in order to choose the best,
But it's also possible to unplug and replug ,
Anyway, congrats on this new 51X baby !
The family become bigeger and bigger !
Regards,
Francois

Thanks Francois! I thought about this long and hard before settling down on this solution. I wanted something foolproof, easy to use, but also cheap and easy to assemble.
The only solution that made sense was the four input setup. It makes it very clear that there are four options to choose from, one cannot activate more than one signal path at a time, there is no need for any expensive rotary switch (and the logic that goes with that), the number of relays is significantly reduced (cost) and it looks cooler with four 1/4" inputs at the front.  ;D

I'm open to any suggestions and/or advice though! :)

Cheers

Mike

I got around to putting this little guy together this week.  8)
Notice the low profile sockets for the Hi-Z plugins.  This is crucial for getting the Jensen TX to fit in the width of a 500 series slot.

HZ51X1.jpg

HZ51X2.jpg

HZ51X3.jpg

HZ51X4.jpg

The two switches are for a -10db pad and bypass.

I am still waiting on some metal work for it which should be here next week.
More to come once I get it all thoroughly tested!  ;D

Cheers,

Mike

Looks great mike! Will it spit out hi-z as well, our did you route it solely for input purposes? Haven't checked out the structure of the non-trafo DI's, but it should at least be possible with the Jensen and the Pikatron.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

grantlack said:
Looks great mike! Will it spit out hi-z as well, our did you route it solely for input purposes? Haven't checked out the structure of the non-trafo DI's, but it should at least be possible with the Jensen and the Pikatron.

It does not 'split' and spit out the Hi-Z signal coming in.  There is simply not enough room on the front panel to do that.
One could use a simple Y cable though for a hard wire split, the same way it's done in stand alone DIs.

okgb said:
Wow , i never knew that i needed
a 51 x  D.I.
apparently i do [ now ]

You can run it 500 style only if you want too: Just cut off the extra 51X tab.
Hi-Z plugins designed to run on +24V will require the 51X connection of course.

cheers

Mike

Back