anyone know where to get mat02 transistors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
looking for some mat02 transistors for our ssl 4K.... can't seem to find them anywhere. I have e-mailed recycled audio and am waiting for a response...

There's a guy on ebay that sells them along with LM394's.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?N=0&Ntk=Primary&Ntt=mat02

You could buy this board below for $9 and desolder the MAT02's
http://www.bgmicro.com/ics1031.aspx

Allied doesn't have any.  I actually inquired a couple weeks ago (for my LA3A design).

Analog Devices has about 200 left at the plant, but they'll only sell the lot and they want about $16 a piece at qty of 200.  I told them to shove @&^#*  @&#&@(*#& .

Dustbro - how many mat02's are on that board though?  If there's a couple - that $9 is sounding pretty juicy.

the ones at allied are to-78  and are 8 pin the ssl ones are to-71 6 pin versions.... fwiw I have found an alternative from a company called linear integrated systems.  It's part number lm318 from them. It is a direct replacement and can be done in a to-71 package like the SSL one. I am still trying to locate a vendor for that.

pucho812 said:
the ones at allied are to-78  and are 8 pin the ssl ones are to-71 6 pin versions.... fwiw I have found an alternative from a company called linear integrated systems.  It's part number lm318 from them. It is a direct replacement and can be done in a to-71 package like the SSL one. I am still trying to locate a vendor for that.

No, they're the same size it'll drop right in.  The TO-78 is a 6 pin, the MAT02 doesn't come in any other size can, just the 6 pin, and an 8 pin dip as well.  Allied doesn't have them anyways though.  Double check the specs on the LS318, I was checking them out the other day, for some reason I keep thinking the minimal HFE was lower, but I could be wrong.

ruckus328 said:
pucho812 said:
the ones at allied are to-78  and are 8 pin the ssl ones are to-71 6 pin versions.... fwiw I have found an alternative from a company called linear integrated systems.  It's part number lm318 from them. It is a direct replacement and can be done in a to-71 package like the SSL one. I am still trying to locate a vendor for that.

No, they're the same size it'll drop right in.  The TO-78 is a 6 pin, the MAT02 doesn't come in any other size can, just the 6 pin, and an 8 pin dip as well.  Allied doesn't have them anyways though.  Double check the specs on the LS318, I was checking them out the other day, for some reason I keep thinking the minimal HFE was lower, but I could be wrong.

dude I just caught my mistake on the number of pins...  :-[

what about just ganging 2 transistors together? after all that is pretty much what the unit is...

also just found this... from GS... maybe being a slut can be a good thing...

I was given conflicting information by people at Analog Devices, but the most recent information is this:

1. The FAB where the MAT02 was made was closed. Therefore, they decided to discontinue the MAT02.

2. Subsequently, there was strong demand for it, so they changed their minds.

3. They decided to redesign the part. I'm not sure if it was because of tooling issues, machinery incompatibilities, newer and better equipment or what, but they decided to redesign the part.

4. The new part will be known as the "MAT12". Samples in March, 2010. Production in June, 2010.

John Hardy

ah so maybe try looking for mat12 as well

pucho812 said:
ruckus328 said:
pucho812 said:

dude I just caught my mistake on the number of pins...  :-[

what about just ganging 2 transistors together? after all that is pretty much what the unit is...

Well, they're matched though.  So you'd have to at the very least HFE match them, so you're gonna have to order a bunch and a means to do it.  And chances that you can match them down to the 2% the mat02's are matched are slim.  The only way you can really do it accurately is with a curve tracer.  Then's there's VBE matching (which may or may not be important for your application), and the fact it changes based on temperature.  So basically, there's alot involved, and imho it's not worth the hassle when you can get a pre matched pair with garanteed hfe matching tolerance for around $10-$15.

I'm currently going through this same issue with my LA3A design.  It uses a pair of 2N5089's.  I just order 25 of them in hopes of matching 2 of them.  But I will likley just be implementing the new mat12's in production because they're superior in every way, and matched down to .5%.

pucho812 said:
also just found this... from GS... maybe being a slut can be a good thing...

I was given conflicting information by people at Analog Devices, but the most recent information is this:

1. The FAB where the MAT02 was made was closed. Therefore, they decided to discontinue the MAT02.

2. Subsequently, there was strong demand for it, so they changed their minds.

3. They decided to redesign the part. I'm not sure if it was because of tooling issues, machinery incompatibilities, newer and better equipment or what, but they decided to redesign the part.

4. The new part will be known as the "MAT12". Samples in March, 2010. Production in June, 2010.

John Hardy

ah so maybe try looking for mat12 as well

just a repost as it has useful information

Hi All,

Just finished a Quad of SSK9k's , found a small US electronics shop that had three MAT02's that looked like the antistaic bad had been on the shelf for a LONG time, but needed one more, found UTSource, got six from them, DONT BUY FROM UTSource - five out of the six were no good !  pissed me right off  :mad:

Analog Devices now has the replacement MAT12AHZ - http://www.analog.com/en/other-products/matched-transistors/mat12/products/product.html

They work and sound great !  :)

hint..... can you say samples  ;D

audiophreak said:

Yes, you might be able to swing some samples of the mat12.  Analog Devices is being pretty strict though who they give stuff to.  They require some sort of offical email address, they won't let [email protected] even create a login.  Luckily we already have a coporate account so it wasn't an issue for me.  Give it a shot, won't hurt to try.  If you're looking to buy them though, they're not yet available through any distributors, only direct from AD, at minimal qty 100 @ about $16 each.  Woof!

You can find here:http://www.conrad.fr/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchFASResultView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-2&searchSKU=&fh_search=mat02

ruckus328 said:
audiophreak said:

If you're looking to buy them though, they're not yet available through any distributors, only direct from AD, at minimal qty 100 @ about $16 each.  Woof!

not true I can order them via newark electronics.  minimum order is 16 pieces at 29.59 dollars each... They are a non-stocked item but can be ordered. Observe....

http://www.newark.com/analog-devices/mat12ahz/low-noise-matched-dual-transistor/dp/84R2044

I've been using this source for the MAT02EH, without hassles:

Yes, we have this transisitor. . Here it is the quotation list :
MAT02AH AD 10PCS 03+ $6.00 CAN
New and unused; 30 days quality warranty period .

Regarding the part MAT02, there are several different suffix , such as MAT02FH 
MAT02EH  ,etc...
Please tell me , Which one  is ok ?
Waiting for your answer soon .

Regards.

mary

Aosiwei Electronics Co.,Ltd

Tel:  +86 -27-82848366                        Fax:    +86-27-82848466
MSN: [email protected]      E-mail:[email protected]

Back