SSL Mono Compressor/Expander boards SL-510

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner

Hey,
This looks like an interesting piece, looks like it uses THAT corp 202XT board with 8 parallel VCAs.......but the PCB layout looks a bit different, may be its an updated version of the 202XT?

Can't seem to find the 2252 RMS detector, wonder what it uses instead.......

Very curious about the threshold, ratio and release circuit but it has no attack?

Wonder what does the Hold and Range knob do on the expander.........

Hi Learner,

a couple of answers for you:
for as far as i know the 202XT are used in these circuits. Just like all the other 4k and 6k SSLs that use the THAT replacements
The attack on these units is fixed.. unless you press the "Fast" key.. then it becomes a fast attack.. exact number i don't know form the top of my head..
On the 4k and 6ks this is done with the pulling up of the release button..

The hold and range controls are there for when you turn your expander into a gate with the corresponding button...

Don't know about the 2252

Greetz
Remco

The top one of the two in the board-shot also has some dodgy-looking mods... flying wires soldered onto the 202XT, with what looks like a heat-shrink-covered resistor in there...

$800 for two? -UNRACKED!!! -pity the fool!

These things were selling for $75 each from someone who worked at SSL a while ago!

If anyone here buys them at that price I shall laugh at them! :green:

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]The top one of the two in the board-shot also has some dodgy-looking mods... flying wires soldered onto the 202XT, with what looks like a heat-shrink-covered resistor in there...

$800 for two? -UNRACKED!!! -pity the fool!

These things were selling for $75 each from someone who worked at SSL a while ago!

If anyone here buys them at that price I shall laugh at them! :green:

Keith[/quote]

Yo keith,
Those are some lucky guys working at SSL, $75 bucks!!! :shock:
Sounds like a deal too good to miss, rack them up and store'em alone with your wine collection till' they reach the vintage status. Man, that would be some retirement fund wouldn't it ? :grin: Gotta get myself to one of these SSL garage sales or sompthin'........

Seriously tho, can you let us in on a secret on how the dynamic section works? No RMS detector, then would they be rectified diode with logrithmic amp feedback? Feedforward?

Love to see the schematic if the info is not confidential............wouldn't want to get you into troble at work or anything :?

:green:

:guinness:

Back