Painton Fader dissection pics.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed rees

Hi,
Figured some of you might like to see this. Mine are 10k carbon track, but I'll be making new stepped resistor PCBs for them. Everything else is TG spec.

Wouldn't be TOO hard to DIY some of these, with the right tools...

paintondissectionpost1.jpg

paintondissectionpost2.jpg

Thanks.  There's another thread already with various Painton and Daven gut pics. 

ed rees said:
Wouldn't be TOO hard to DIY some of these, with the right tools...

:eek:

I guess anything is possible, but we need someone to DIY the rest of the TG (or REDD)! ;D

There was a guy I think on PSW forums that was DIYing a REDD37 or some such?!? Never followed up on it...

they look cool. I could really care less that EMI, abby road, or the beatles used them. They just look cool. As for the redd stuff. there are plenty of other well designed tube equipment. redd is famous because of the beatles. Redd did not make them famous they made redd famous. I was at a studio with a redd desk they were using as a sidecar, was not impressed. However give me a rack of v72's any day

fazeka said:
We need someone to DIY the rest of the TG (or REDD)! ;D

Well, why else do you think I bought these faders? One step at a time, my friend!  ;)

The guy building a REDD.51 was Wilfried Kobiolka. Looked like he had a firm grasp of what needed to be done, and all the right info to do it. I've been trying to get in contact with him for months, no luck so far..

I have the 600ohm stepped type that I have been working on retooling into a diy project.
I started the earlier thread on this subject.
While I'm a Beatles fan,  I am more of a 1950-1960s console fan. I personally feel that a constant impedance attenuator that is thin, and tactile has a huge place in a modern studio setting. The rotary type work great, but take up a lot of space.
The linear type are also a good option, but seem to require a little better manufacturing tolerance to get them to feel good and smooth..
And I get a little ill when I see folks dumping a classic mic pre into a 10k pot or something.
I do not intend to get rich with the venture. I just originally wanted enough for my console which I now have, but now I want more for other projects.
If you have had any luck finding help with manufacturing, I'd be interested in finding that out.
I live in a very economically depressed area full of machinist, and parts manufacturers. None of whom seem the least bit interested in taking on any work. I'm not a machinist myself, but may have to become one if I can't find help.
There is absolutely no rocket science in these things.

cfierik said:
I get a little ill when I see folks dumping a classic mic pre into a 10k pot or something.

That part all depends on the amp in question.  You have to measure every amp and see what it's acceptable load range might be.  Most amps after 1950 have a fairly wide load tolerance range due to the lower internal impedance provided by negative feedback.  There are exceptions, but they are greatly outnumbered. 

Sorry to bring the old alive, Can someone give me the dimension of this fader? or even a CAD drawing in much better, I can try to cnc it then. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back