cry cry baby

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go to geofex.com and read about it a good read helps with the inductor mystery part I mean this in a very good way the "magic" iductor gave up it secret (it was built with a cheap(junk?) core)

Then tell us what you want it to sound like and what it sounds like. I have done a number of whas both 2 and 3 transistor models, funny thing except for the one "magic" inductor type most can be tuned to sound OK. The "magic" one is something very cool.

Wow! A tube wah!

You can buy long life pots and inductors from Mike at Fulltone, if he is still offering.
I have a Clyde and it sounds great. Don't like the longer pedal as much as the original wah.

Then tell us what you want it to sound like and what it sounds like.
I have no idea to be honest. I am not a guitar player by any means. my buddy, and I quote "it just doesn't move me. can you see if there are any mods that I can do to it?"

If you can take a picture of the board post it.

Panasonic Vs (stacked PET) can sound real good in a wha. FWIW TFC are PET caps I have cut them open.
Poly pros little to no DA, some PETs pan Vs, mallory 150s? just the right amount of DA. Increasing the feedback cap from .01 to .022 can give some more low end. Moving the pot and pinion to a different spot in relation to the rack can change the sweep etc. etc.

Antique Electronics wants $18 for either of the Fasel inductors. (One is allegedly clean sounding, the other is "vintage"). If'n I'm not mistaken, it's an air-core coil that wouldn't be hard to make.

yeah, but the mccoy inductor was insanely insanely awesome, so insanely awesome that he stopped selling them. Id pay $50 for one without even thinking twice, it was an EXACT sounding replica of the inductors that predated the TDK's in the thomas organ crybabys. Exact. The fulltone sorta sounded like a halo, but not really. The mccoy was insane though. I have a friend in london who hand winds inductors for wah pedals and he'll wind you whatever you want, Ive used his inductors in several wahs Ive built and they are really great.

You might have a good inductor to start with though, post a pic...

dave

I had one of the really old Crybabies. When I was in high school, a kid in my shop class sold it to me for cheap because it was "broken." Turned out it just needed one wire re-soldered from the battery clip.

That was a good-sounding wah. I used it a lot in my first band, but I lost interest in wah after we split up and I haven't "wah'ed" since. The pedal could still be floating around somewhere in my parents' basement for all I know. I should look for it sometime.

Here are a few of my toys.
The rat has been modded with germanium diodes:

gear_5.jpg

Here is a closer look at the clyde.
I got #33:

fuller_3.jpg

You can tweak the tone with the trim pot:

fuller_2.jpg

fuller_1.jpg

Back