24 channel mixer the "Stereotype"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hakanai said:
Mellowroni said:
Is it better to use this psu?
This may sound circular, but the better PSU to use is the better PSU. Meaning those 2 volts aren't going to make nearly as much of a difference as basic PSU performance issues like ripple, noise, and all the normal PSU metrics. For the extra nth of a db headroom the 18v will give you, I would forget about the voltages and just try both and see which one performs better in terms of noise. You are far more likely to see a performance gain on that end, then the other. Going to 18v from 16v might get you something like .5db (I'm not doing the math right now) in output swing, but the right PSU could give tens of db better noise floor. While there may be some subjective "color" to be looked at from the different supplies, we can't really discuss that because your setup is incredibly particular to you. I somehow doubt anyone on this board has built this kit with everything the same as you and tried both of these PSU's, and that is what is required to give a sensible response on those more abstract aspects. What we can easily discuss in the more traditional spec sheet type performance, and that is what I am getting at with the mention of noise figures. What we are talking about is dynamic range, the distance from the noise floor to clipping.  It can be improved by increasing output level capabilities or by reducing the noise floor.

So, short answer? With everything hooked up (inputs and outputs) power it up, then try the other supply and see which one is quieter (and free from any weird low-level noises). Use that one. If they are equal, then use the newer one.

did that help at all?
Don

Just to add to what  Don said....

Going from split 16v  to split 18v adds more heat than headroom
That said, my DOAs will run fine on Split 18v

GARY

Ahhh finally got to check in.
gar381 said:
Bump for DON... :) ;)

Whats new???

GARY
Did you guys know kids take a lot of attention? I mean I figured I'd have to hang out with him an hour or two a week, but this is nuts! Haha, all kidding aside I have been swamped with being a new dad and recording. Damn musicians keep writing new songs and this kid, I mean he can't even wipe his own @ss.

As for the mixer it continues to live and die daily. I became a bit disillusioned with the direction it was taking and how convoluted it was becoming, so I am at a point where I am deciding whether to leave it as a summing mixer or go whole hog and finally just make the mini console I have always wanted. Mic pre/basic eq/basic comp/3-4 axes/4busses/proper faders in a freestanding tabletop 12channel configuration. It would be mostly IC, but probably a lot transformers. It's design still consumes most of my daily subway time, but I have less time at the computer to draw things up and less cash to burn trying things out. I am definitely feeling a bit "all or nothing" on this project at this point, and there are definitely times when "nothing" sounds awesome. But then… my little dream console would be so nice for so many of my projects.

Ok internet, speak to me. Anyone interested in my vision of a mini console? I figure if I sold it as a partial kit (pcb's, metal, key PITA components) it would end up costing 3000-5000 to build, kit plus all other parts total. So should I spend my time questionably and make this thing?

fragletrollet said:
Are these boards still available?
Yup. Latest version of the input board is still available. PM or email me

don

yea man i have a 1.6 year old and its pretty exhausting, but beautiful.
I think you should go forward with your plan so you can have your dream mixer that you made. Its madness for sure, but everything worthwhile is madness.

A single voice from internet....
I've been comming back to this thread many times since I have an itch...for a small console.
But as my pile of outboard grows, what I really want is everything a console has except channelstrips.
I have pres, eqs and compressors but no auxes, buses, pans, faderamps or summing.
I think a lot of people work as I do, using outboard when mixing but still uses the DAW as brain.
I would love a rackmountable "brain" with all in/outs balanced and the option to use transformers.

I've seen some DIY consoles that are amazing (Gary's for instance) but that's over my head :)
In my mind this could be a really attractive product to a lot of people...

Something tells me this is not what you have in mind, but if you would consider it, I would be all over it ;)

Anybody knows if such a device exist, please let me know!!!

Best regards
//Magnus

hakanai said:
fragletrollet said:
Are these boards still available?
Yup. Latest version of the input board is still available. PM or email me

don

Hey, tried PM`ing you but I don`t know if you recieved it.

It would really help out if there were some more pictures of the pcb`s and documentation available. I`m trying to figure out the differences of using this board compared to Capi`s 2S-LA. Any help would be appreciated!

ok haven't been around much in the last year, sorry about that. Yes I still have boards available. My website has changed so all the linked images and files in this thread have been rendered dead. Sorry for that. I will try and remedy that soon but it will be tedious so I may just put a link to a zip in the first post of the thread. I'll post when it is up. And I'm sending out an email tonight to everyone who has emailed me.

Thanks for the continued interest
Don

madreza said:
Hi and happy new year :)
( never too late :D )
do you think 71ADF30-01-1-AJN switches can work on the pan boards ?
just going from memory on grayhill part number coding, I think it will. A 71 series 12 position 1 deck 1 pole switch is what they were designed for.

Don

Anyone out there? I found a stack of Mk4 8 channel boards. Listed in the white market until I run out. (listing still pending, just PM me)
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=74824.0

Thanks
Don

Latest posts

Back