Building a ClassicAPI VP312 - Shall I Film a Complete Noob Tutorial?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Soul Rebel

:eek:

(I guess this one most definitely goes out to JEFF!!! As he may well have an opinion on whether he wants an amateur like me filming the build process of the VP312!!!)

But anyway... I thought i'd share my story first.

I've built about 12 VP312's. I've sold a few (with Jeff's knowledge) and put EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERY PENNY) back into my dream to have a completely API (okay, 'reproduction' API) front end in my studio. With the masterful and wonderful input and help from Jeff and the ever inspiring Cemal (for whom our DIY lives are not worthy!!!) (heheh, tributes over)... I thought i'd talk a little about it.

My first build was successful. For two reasons:

1. Jeff's instructions and visuals
2. Canidoit's encouragement and 'hey mate, its possible you just have to go for it' attitude

I sold my whole studio. Mackie 32/8, looms, the lot. Wanted to start again. There must be others out there who have taken this risk (quite big risk really when you don't know what you're doing).

In such a film I'm thinking It might also add some context to the more emotional side of a build.

I want to say to anybody who's thinking about this that it is not only possible, but inspiring. When you record through something you've built yourself you are not simply making music any more, you are creating something that is personal and unique as to be created from start to finish with your own fair hands. It is wierdly awesome.

I recorded some guitars the other night. It was a basic 57/VP312/7131 opamp on cab plus TLM103/VP312/2520 for room. It inspired my playing, not only the sound but the feeling of turning the knobs on the pres that I had built. That was special.

I never realised how great my studio could sound until I went DIY. It's been a great journey so far.

Video

So I thought i'd video me making a build. (i've got three VP312 kits waiting sat here waiting).

I wonder about this. It won't be perfect. That's because it would be a film designed to inspire people that if they wanna do it, they can. Dunno, what do you guys think?

???

Have you built any that didn't get placed into an API Lunchbox(or sim.)?    I'm trying to find documentation on how to assemble ClassicAPI's offerings in a case from Par-Metal using ClassicAPI's faceplates.

Go for it. Nowadays it's quite easy and cheap to make an awesome high-quality film. If you're not  a movie maker yourself you may consider getting in touch with someone who is at least a semi-pro. Maybe check vimeo.com if there's someone around you. From my experience those people are really willing to take any topic like that and turn it into something nice to watch.

m.

Back