ADT in the digital age...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

trying to think of a good way to do ADT in pro tools or any other daw for example. I had an ADT plug in that I found but only works in logic...

I would imagine i could get away with making 2 aux channels as inputs. one having short delay time and the other just signal and feeding those outputs onto a single track?

I know the digi reel tape suit has an ADT setting but I don't own it...

The best ADT I ever had was in the 80's with a Dynacord TAM19. This unit was an analog delay with multiple modulation. An external CV, an LFO and an envelope detector.
I used a combination of envelope-detector and a pinch of LFO, never the CV.
I have used some plug-ins to re-create that (the TAM19 is long gone), but in the end, my conclusion is always the same: ask the singer to do another take.
I understand that Geoff Emerick may have run out of tracks and resorted to this workaround for John Lennon's voice, but today, what's the cost of another track?
Unless you work with an exceedingly retentive singer, I think it's the best option.

I know in some cases an ADTed vocal and a vocal dub don't sound quite the same. Depending on the singer/music/desired sound I know I would prefer one over the other. Sometimes to get a ADT sound, I set up some short delays with modulation of some sort...might get you in the ball park!

AC

If you're shooting for that classic Lennon slap effect, the closest I've come is the
Waves multi-tap plug-in. It has a proper 15ips slap preset that feeds back on itself
and sounds close to tape. Add some subtle flanging and your jake.

But Shhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

Here's the real deal for reference.

http://soundcloud.com/sharktank-productions/ireadthenews?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email&utm_content=http://soundcloud.com/sharktank-productions/ireadthenews

Mark

Hi,

I use this one. Its au or vst. How about a wrapper to use it in RTAS . . . .

or, do as I do, and run my laptop with logic, BigMAc with tools, or vice-versa, depending on project. Network the two computers for easy exchange of files. I have an Mbox lightbox with dig in and out on spdif. i run this as an insert from BigMac. You may need to bus all the other tracks with appropriate DLA inserted to compensate for latency. Hey presto, Logic AU plugs in Protools, and vice-versa. Just bounce when you are good and happy. This way you can audiotion in situ. Not perfect I will grant you, but I so oftwn want to use a plugin from the other platform!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

The Reel Tape Suite ADT is the only one I ever like when I hear it.

Cool Trick: set it as Multi-Mono instead of stereo and unlink them set the L to 100% Dry and the R 100% Wet and turn the ADT knob till is sounds cool, less phase-y than others I've heard.

Biasrocks said:
If you're shooting for that classic Lennon slap effect, the closest I've come is the
Waves multi-tap plug-in. It has a proper 15ips slap preset that feeds back on itself
and doesn't sounds close to tape. Add some subtle flanging and your jake.

But Shhh, don't tell anyone. ;)

Here's the real deal for reference.

http://soundcloud.com/sharktank-productions/ireadthenews?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email&utm_content=http://soundcloud.com/sharktank-productions/ireadthenews

Mark

I have that 4 track...  you can really learn a lot from the 4  songs that got out.

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi,

I use this one. Its au or vst. How about a wrapper to use it in RTAS . . . .

or, do as I do, and run my laptop with logic, BigMAc with tools, or vice-versa, depending on project. Network the two computers for easy exchange of files. I have an Mbox lightbox with dig in and out on spdif. i run this as an insert from BigMac. You may need to bus all the other tracks with appropriate DLA inserted to compensate for latency. Hey presto, Logic AU plugs in Protools, and vice-versa. Just bounce when you are good and happy. This way you can audiotion in situ. Not perfect I will grant you, but I so oftwn want to use a plugin from the other platform!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Great Idea. I use my laptop for altiverb in a similar manor...

benlindell said:
The Reel Tape Suite ADT is the only one I ever like when I hear it.

Cool Trick: set it as Multi-Mono instead of stereo and unlink them set the L to 100% Dry and the R 100% Wet and turn the ADT knob till is sounds cool, less phase-y than others I've heard.

yes I have used it before and it does a nice job... but I am trying to avoid sending more $$ down to digi erm I mean avid. you know what I mean.

As I understand reading the Recording The Beatles book, one interesting thing is that with the system developed by them, you finally have (in mixing) a delayed voice before the real one.
They mix from Repro Head, but send the voice to the Tape delay machine from the Sync Head, so, Imagine that varying the speed of the 2nd tape machine, may lead to a voice sometimes after and sometimes before.
There's nice graph of it in the book.

hagen daaz said:
They mix from Repro Head, but send the voice to the Tape delay machine from the Sync Head, so, Imagine that varying the speed of the 2nd tape machine, may lead to a voice sometimes after and sometimes before.
That's exactly it, similar to what happens in real life when two singers sing in unison (or one actually overdubs himself).

Latest posts

Back