Any "mute (with midi)" and "Solo" nice diy project ???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTYNINER

hey

This place full of projects it's almost like an audio "DiyPedia"  :D

Checked around , unfortunately not found info about how
to diy a "mute (with midi)" and "Solo" project to place in a summ box as well,

it's the "relay" the only way?

???

I don't think relays are the preferred way for automating mutes. If just solo/mute for monitoring purposes they will work. You may get audible clicks/ thumps.
I think analog switches or shunt fet switching is the way its done in consoles.
You want the muting to ramp of and on not switch instantly, this can be done with the control voltage to the fet switch.
If relays could switch audio at the zero crossing or without making a noise they would be preferred though i suppose many times the glitches would be masked by program material.
Shunt switching fet and analog switches have  headroom, noise and s:n tradeoffs.

hey shabtek
that you say is so true...
but api and other "big" consoles are full of relays
+/- 13 x channel in the signal path 

shabtek said:
I don't think relays are the preferred way for automating mutes. If just solo/mute for monitoring purposes they will work. You may get audible clicks/ thumps.
I think analog switches or shunt fet switching is the way its done in consoles.
You want the muting to ramp of and on not switch instantly, this can be done with the control voltage to the fet switch.
If relays could switch audio at the zero crossing or without making a noise they would be preferred though i suppose many times the glitches would be masked by program material.
Shunt switching fet and analog switches have  headroom, noise and s:n tradeoffs.

There's a thread in the Drawing Board where I posted the skiz that is the mute/solo circuit for my monitor section. It works great and is silent. The solo is in place but destructive. Can be worked around if you get creative.

jsteiger said:
There's a thread in the Drawing Board where I posted the skiz that is the mute/solo circuit for my monitor section. It works great and is silent. The solo is in place but destructive. Can be worked around if you get creative.

hey Jeff thanks for post
do you mean the attached skems ?

Attachments

• relay-control-circuit.jpg
    relay-control-circuit.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 98
there's a great section on this in doug self's book (small signal one...)

http://books.google.com/books?id=PvKPEFu2PVkC&lpg=PP1&dq=doug%20self%20book&pg=PA401#v=onepage&q=j111&f=false

Latest posts

Back