What an idiot !!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

Just knocked a cup of coffee all over a synth and 2 x moogerfooger pedals !!

Luckily most went on the floor .... all in bits, rinsed and drying with a blower  :-[ :-[ :-[

:eek: :eek:, at least you put them to the test, hope it will go well...

PS: If it works right again, maybe some isopropyl alcohol could help clean all the sticky coffee in there, just a tought....

The woman that was to be my wife once called me in a panic, at about 2AM, saying she had just spilled a big cup of coffee all down the rack in a suite she was editing in.  She was sure that she had destroyed the studio  ;D. I rushed in to see what the damage was, and laughed as I saw she'd just coated the the cabling from patchbay to punch block.  A handful of paper towels fixed everything.  She thought I was heroic.

Not beverage related, but my own big scare came when I was doing my very first week of tech work. 
I was assigned the task of cleaning every mm of an MCI console in preparation for the mix of Cotton Club. Near the end of a week of Q-Tips and alcohol, I bumped a loose panel on the back of the console...  sparks flew and the thing lit up like a Christmas tree!  :eek:  I thought that was the end of my audio tech days...  I was certain that I'd done a million dollars of damage and ruined the mix schedule. I ran to tell my boss and was surprised at his non-reaction as he calmly went over and reset the console supply. 
No harm done to anything other than my underpants.  :p

We're all idiots  ;)

ps: for the rinsing use distilled water if you've got it.  No conductive stuff will be left behind when it evaporates.

Everything is OK, the angle of "spill" and my quick reaction to catch the mug of coffee
saved a total disaster !!
There was only a few drops inside the gear ....
Will make sure that I'm fully awake before doing that again  :eek:

MM

Ive had a few near-misses with my latop only to work out in my head how long it would actually take to power down the thing asap. man that thing would just DIE!. you cant just pull the plug! I have imagined it sizzling as I held the power button for 7 seconds......

Had a guy dump a glass of coke and cane spirits into my first big console (Sony MXP 3036) in 1988.

We had left the studio for the night & he called me the next morning & told me & I immediately hauled out the channels.

Would you believe it, the drink had actually eaten thru a PCB trace in the space of 16 hours???

wtmnmf said:
ps: for the rinsing use distilled water if you've got it.  No conductive stuff will be left behind when it evaporates.

I Have to agree with this. We had problems with some of our EVM's a few years ago, because one of the techs was using tap water in the soldering iron sponge, and to rinse the board.

My wife had her laptop on top of the dishwasher while she opened it and gave the laptop a nice steam bath... Sound module gone, probably a large portion of the ram capacity as well; it's reeeeally slow now. :(

Had a pompous client, aptly named  Dick, who dissed everything in the place.  He was chomping on some moo shu walking around listening to his mix and the plate curled on him, pouring sauce into the Ultimation faders.  The boys swore that the magic smoke was PINK in color.  I've never seen pink.
Dick had to buy two faders, but he was SO nice and humble for the rest of the lockout.
Mike

MartyMart said:
Will make sure that I'm fully awake before doing that again  :eek:

Needed the rest of that coffee beforehand! Food is strictly banned for me, but I do permit beverages on occasion... in a sippy cup  ;D.

It's pretty clear we've all been here.  "No food or drink in the control room" is such a great idea in principal but then again, imagine recording a whole project with no coffee! :eek:

Would you believe it, the drink had actually eaten thru a PCB trace in the space of 16 hours???

I may have to try this next time I'm etching PCBs!

Back