API Vintage Console Channel For 500/51x Format VC528 ST2+

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think of it but it maybe could be done.

Removing the Mute toggle and relay would save a few bucks too. Some could maybe care less about that feature?

The Elma/Grayhill fader could be replaced with a 1K log pot? The faceplate may look a little empty without something there.

Just another idea.  :)

With the assortment of CAPI modules, I should be able to construct some vintage API "console strips". I've got both 312s and VP25s, the VC528 missing links, and both TB550a and coming the LC53a EQs. I also have an assortment of red dots, gar2520, and gar1731. So to most faithfully create the vintage API channel strips, which combos would be most accurate?

I'd chain Pre -> EQ -> 528. Should I move all 3 jumpers on the 528 to the "U" position instead of the "D" position?

Were the channel EQs R/C like the TB550a or L/C like LC53a?

I believe the SL red dots are regarded as closest to the original API's, gar 1731 are also vintage based(have not used, but will shortly, heard great things about them). The 2520's are the modern version of API opamps. I have used the 2520 and the SL red dots, The 2520's sound bigger and more modern to me, the SL red dots sound like a cat stevens record on an acoustic. I'm not sure api made more than 1 style opamp back in the day, but I could be totally wrong about everything i've ever said, so a grain of salt? ???

my current favorite use for these guys is on the mix bus in a Mid/Side config, being fed by a pair of LC53s :)  When i figure out how to do overlays in SpectraFoo, i'll show how the gar2520 and gar1731 affect the frequency response of the unit with some pics for the forum :)

Latest posts

Back