1176: which tipe of revision build for aggressive electric guitars?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In an interview with Joe Satriani and his producer, they showed a blackface 1176. That could be the rev d or a reissue, but i'd say go for rev d.

go with the most expensive! ;D
I'm sure you will be pleased with any revision of the 1176 for almost about anything. You might just want it for guitars now but when you hear it on drums or vocals your going to be using it. Sorry I guess I am assuming you've never tried a diy 1176...

People seem to like pushing agressive guitars through lots of transformers...why not try the transformer input and output? f? I think...

Transformer Input & Output are revisions A, D, F. I'd suggest to do a D, it's like A but has the LN (low noise) circuit. I like my A a lot on drums and vocals. Still making the D so no comment on how it compares to A, but if it's like an A with less noise, I'd be all over it :)

Also, I think A is class A throughout, if that means anything to you.

By aggressive do you mean heavily distorted? I rarely compress heavily overdriven guitars, as they're already compressed by the clipping.

Putting the signal through a couple of transformers can make the tone less harsh if that's what you're looking for.

Some heavy guitar sounds "resonate" the cabinet and thus the signal hitting the mic swings quitea few dB. A filter can help, but compression does help to rein it in sometimes

baadc0de said:
Some heavy guitar sounds "resonate" the cabinet and thus the signal hitting the mic swings quitea few dB. A filter can help, but compression does help to rein it in sometimes
True.

Well, not with an 1176 but I'm doing some tests with my LA3A and compressing a very high gain distorted lead line about 10dB and it sounds awesome.  I know some do but personally I never use compression on rhythm's other than a multiband, as the level jumps are generally from the 100-300Hz chuga chugs, but that's just me.  Point being for lead stuff things like an 1176 can be great for really helping it punch through.

ruckus328 said:
Well, not with an 1176 but I'm doing some tests with my LA3A and compressing a very high gain distorted lead line about 10dB and it sounds awesome.  I know some do but personally I never use compression on rhythm's other than a multiband, as the level jumps are generally from the 100-300Hz chuga chugs, but that's just me.  Point being for lead stuff things like an 1176 can be great for really helping it punch through.

Agreed in full, only I don't have (yet) an LA3A, but LA2A. If you are working from a DAW, multiband is the better option, though if you're working with tape and an analog desk (which MAY be the case of the OP) a single band compressor will do. In that same Satriani interview, they talked about treating his lead guitar like a vocal (compression, EQ, levels wise I guess). I sometimes work that way and get good results, but for the effect, I don't think it's *that* important which 1176 revision it is, or for instance if it's an LA2A or LA3A used to compress with as an effect.

I would go for a rev A

IMO, they sound a bit more "aggressive/colorful" compared to the rev D.
The rev D is really nice on the bottom end.

typically heavy guitars are so compressed by the amp that they don't need a ton of compression. However, for the Byrds/Mike Campbell thing, they are golden, and its the style more than the model that does it
Ian

Latest posts

Back