Help! Protools samplerate problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Hi,

I am in a real pickle. I recorded some guitar and vocal tracks at a protools studio. I DId not do the setup. THere appears to be some wierd problem. Everything played back fine at the studio. On another HD rig, the audio plays back at the right SPEED, but pitched up! If on logic, you force it to play back at 44.1kHz, the pitch is correct, but it plays back to SLOW . . . . .

wtf . . . . and does anyone have a solution PLEASE HELP

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

PT is too stupid to recognise that an external clock does not have the same frequency as selected in the setup. So you can generate audio files which say they are 44.1 kHz but actually should play back at 48 kHz (or vice versas).

What you need to do is change the header of the audio files to indicate the true sample rate. IIRC there's a possibiliy in PT, but can't recall where it is found...

Samuel

Sounds to me like you were not locked to any word clock source be it internal or external and that you had a pull up/pull down 1% on as well... try playing it back on another hd rig and then do a 1% pull down... it should bring your pitch back to the right one

Have you tried opening a new session and doing an "import session data" from the original?  Be sure you have your preferred clock settings in place when you start the new one.

i wanna print up some T shirts that say:

THAT SHIT DON'T HAPPEN ON 2"

applicable on many occasions.

& i think miko has a good idea

Your problem is that for some reason the session has been recorded in vari-pitch mode. Probably, the person who did the setup used a template with pitch shift on.
Can you say how far is it? Let's say you manage to play at the right speed, how detuned is it?
There are two solutions:
Either your DAW has real-time pitch shifting capability, or you convert the files.
I think you should get in touch with the person who made the mistake and ask him what amount of pitch-shifting he had.

abbey road d enfer said:
Your problem is that for some reason the session has been recorded in vari-pitch mode. Probably, the person who did the setup used a template with pitch shift on.
Can you say how far is it? Let's say you manage to play at the right speed, how detuned is it?
There are two solutions:
Either your DAW has real-time pitch shifting capability, or you convert the files.
I think you should get in touch with the person who made the mistake and ask him what amount of pitch-shifting he had.

good point....  at that point can't one just put vari-speed on and adjust until it's correct?

Hello,

had the same problem once with a engineer who didn't checked the sessions sample rates versus the master clock sample rate (session in 44,1kHz, Clock in 48 kHz)

Pro tools is so stupid that it will let you do this kind of HUGE mistake... (remember, ALWAYS check your session SR and your clock setup)

The solution was :

- exports the files  in 44,1
- open a new session in 44,1 with the right clocking !
- imports the files in the session by telling the Pro Tools that the sample rate of the files you are importing in 48 (import audio, apply SRC, source sample rate = 48 , destination Sample rate = 44,1)

And you are done !

If it's a vari speed problem, don't have the solution....

Hope it helps

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the info. Tried it all. Whatever you do, you can either have it in pitch or in time. Not both.

Hurrah for Serato Pitchn'Time, that's all I'll say. . . . .

Several previous sessions at the same studio are the same. So it's not just me . . . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Whatever you do, you can either have it in pitch or in time. Not both.

I can hardly believe that... It would mean that some sort of time stretcher/pitch shifter was inserted during recording. Must have been a truly talented assistant/engineer!

Samuel

HI,

it is a faulty Mac, apparently. I have just been speaking to someone else that this happened too, but to him it was 8 songs recorded as live takes. When they came in to overdub the next day, they had the same as me! They used Serato on some tracks, and M6000 pitchshift on others.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
HI,

it is a faulty Mac, apparently. I have just been speaking to someone else that this happened too, but to him it was 8 songs recorded as live takes. When they came in to overdub the next day, they had the same as me! They used Serato on some tracks, and M6000 pitchshift on others.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

I don't understand... how is the mac computer responsible? that does not make sense to me... what is the mac doing or not doing to cause that? and secondly if the studio knows then they should have it fixed or at least tell them so they can get it fixed.

pucho812 said:
Sounds to me like you were not locked to any word clock source be it internal or external and that you had a pull up/pull down 1% on as well...

Firstly, that would not cause this problem, secondly pull-ups and pull-down is 0.1%, NOT 1%...

Keith

So you can generate audio files which say they are 44.1 kHz but actually should play back at 48 kHz (or vice versas).
What you need to do is change the header of the audio files to indicate the true sample rate. IIRC there's a possibiliy in PT, but can't recall where it is found...
I had this problem on a recording.
What is an easy way to edit the header of a .wav file to change the designated sample rate?

While this is not fun, the good news is that the problem is not fluctuating over time which would make it very hard to fix.

I had a similar thing happen when I accidentally had my PT rig clocked to my G5's internal soundcard.  All hell broke loose.  Playing it back on the original error system was the only way to get the files to play normal.  Time compression/expansion and pitch shifting just couldn't do it.  I think I ended up transferring the audio analog to DAT and recording the tracks into a new session and realigning.  Come to think of it, it was about 4 years ago during a lot of local political campaigning.  I nearly pulled out my hair.

MikoKensington said:
I had a similar thing happen when I accidentally had my PT rig clocked to my G5's internal soundcard.  All hell broke loose.  Playing it back on the original error system was the only way to get the files to play normal.  Time compression/expansion and pitch shifting just couldn't do it. 
  That's quite surprising; some DAW's may not have the possibility to do pitch-shifting and/or time-stretching in REAL TIME, but most DAW's have the possibility to process files off-line.

Latest posts

Back