Reel to reel parts needed?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need the adapters for the BASF pro tape.  That Scotch roll is a 7 in reel and has the adapter already in it.  Not very common for 10.5 in reels - I don't recall ever seeing any.  Virtually all 7 and 5in reels have solid centers and do not need adapters.

Skiroy said:
THis is still confusing as far as if I need hubs/NAB adpters.  When do you need them? Does it depend on what size tape or what brand you use? Because Im seeing 1/4" reels that appears to need some kind of adapters but then there is other reels like this one that looks as if it would fit right on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3M-SCOTCH-MAGNETIC-TAPE-1-4-X-1800-LONG-PLAY-LOT-9-/190458448066?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c583548c2#ht_7466wt_1093

The 7" small-hole reels are called cine spools (was it a DIN standard?) and yes, they can fit right on, but they only hold half the amount of tape that the larger 10.5" reels do. For those (NAB standard) reels , you need the NAB hub adapter.

Looking at the picture on Ebay again, it looks like the reel centres on it are what are called 'Cine Reels' - the same types they used to put on home projecters. 

You can buy magnetic tape on cine reel centres up to about 5" spools, like the one you showed, and they will work fine.  Above that you need to use 10" spools that are usually supplied on NAB centres, so you will need a cine to NAB adapter to accomodate theses.

With regard to getting hold of BASF tape - I am in the UK and so don't know where to get it in the US - note that I was talking about second hand tape through.  If you buy new, you should be OK  :)

Regards

Mike

Wow BASF tape... haven't seen that since my dad made me sing partridge family songs into his CB mic with a vocal zapper LOL. The chain was CB mike to Telefunken reel to reel. And I still made forts out of blocks at the time...

Don't get old Ampex 456. It's great tape but it has a problem with longevity. All of the 456 these days needs to be baked. The oxide got sticky over the years and gums the tape deck up. I have to bake that stuff to do transfers to digital, Quantegy is the same stuff I believe with a more long lived formula. I haven't needed to bake that. Other brands didn't have such a problem.

I use a converted dehydrator to bake it. I cut out the centers to hold 3, 2 inch reels at a time.

7 inch reels will slap right on your 34. So get them. I think the 7's last like 15 minutes at 30 ips. If I remember correctly. I haven't turned mine on in a couple years. I think the 10.5's last 25 to 30 minutes?

Think the 5 inch reels are what my dad used to use on the telefunken. Too short to bother with at 33 ips or 30 whatever it is. But I suggest always recording with the speed button on high. Keep the heads clean with alcohol and get a demagnitizer. Hmm and not to mention a test tape, oscillator and stuff to calibrate it. And record test tones in case you need to bring the tape somewhere else.

And Gary suggested new tape. If they sell it I would get that for sure.

John

And at this point the deck will need a new capstan roller and a new belt. Mine both turned to liquid goo over the years. If it hasn't been replaced already. I posted the guy in Japan that has them.

The capstan roller is easy to throw on but the belt takes a bit of dis-assembly. And you may have to tighten up the reel brakes. To prevent overrun when you try to stop a fast forward or rewind, Or tape may spill. But that is easy.

John

Back