Protools 9, Finally..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsez

http://www.avid.com/us/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare

Finally it's work with Any Core Audio or ASIO compatible interface... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think if you get the Complete tool kit with it you should be fine.  Its not cheap but it is much cheaper then what yo paid originally.

I've been doing some mixes with it and it seems good.  I think the ADC is not 100% perfect.  It does seem a little phasey.  Has anyone else noticed this or am I on crack?

The demo at aes started with a mac laptop, the internal mic, and pt 9. Then took that audio and added more stuff on a regular rig. It's cool. I like the idea of if u have an ilok and a laptop, that's all u need... so say I am flying and I feel the need to edit a project I beeen doing... out comes the laptop and off I go... 

My take is they are really aiming to get all the logic users on pt or get the people who left pt for things like propriatory hardware...

From my understanding it will even work with the ssl mixpander i/o cards... hmmmmm

Digi/avid wouldn't be doing this unless there is some angle like limited useage unless you using avid hardware but there doesn't seem to be

but no more inputs (Audio record (simultaneous)) beyond 32 channels (without HD cards) ???
already have a date at the Tonmeistertagung with them to talk abou the truth ;D ;D ;D

what the hell, I would have the budget for a new Intel Mac, even with an expensive chassis (you need 4 cards for 128 I/Os with HD) - I just don't have the space for this in an OB Van ::)

[silent:arts] said:
but no more inputs (Audio record (simultaneous)) beyond 32 channels (without HD cards) ???
already have a date at the Tonmeistertagung with them to talk abou the truth ;D ;D ;D

what the hell, I would have the budget for a new Intel Mac, even with an expensive chassis (you need 4 cards for 128 I/Os with HD) - I just don't have the space for this in an OB Van ::)

How about using the Satellite Link and link some computers for more channels?  You can sync up to 5 machines for 160 channels of simultaneous recording and 800 on playback! I bet there will be many creative workarounds, like running multiple instances on virtual machines in the same box and virtual ethernet links between them with Satellite Link running; let them all see the same iLok for authorization to save on licenses. Could be doable on a machine running many cpu cores with lots of ram.  The hacks will be endless now.

I'm curious about what you are doing that needs more than 32 record channels...  what's an OB Van?

One other thing, so if i get it correct the PT9 will also integrate the EUCON protocol, and so that means Euphonix artist series also compatible for PC?? Two different things maybe, it's just compatibility and nothing to do with driver i believe, but i was curious, That could be cool also....

Silent Art : (you need 4 cards for 128 I/Os with HD)

Do you really need 4 i/o cards or just I/O.  The 192's have expansion without using cards slot cards.  You can get them on ebay pretty cheap if you watch.

wtmnmf said:
How about using the Satellite Link and link some computers for more channels?  You can sync up to 5 machines for 160 channels of simultaneous recording and 800 on playback!
as said before, it is a space issue. now I have the G4 (5U), two SSL MADI I/Os (1U each) and 2U of Glyph storage.
a Mac Pro has only 3 PCI slots, limiting HD to 96 I/Os (32 each card).
if it would work with the SSL MX4 I would have two MADI ports (128 channels) on one card ...
the BackUp system is a Pyramix with two MADI cards (5U rackmount computer ...)
however, the artists request / prefer Pro Tools sessions, sometimes you only get the permission to record / broadcast if the artist gets his Pro Tools file ...

wtmnmf said:
I'm curious about what you are doing that needs more than 32 record channels...
live recording. actually most current bands are below 64 signals, but let us record Metallica with an orchestra ...

wtmnmf said:
what's an OB Van?

not ours, but something like this: OB Van.de

fazer said:
Do you really need 4 i/o cards or just I/O.  The 192's have expansion without using cards slot cards.  You can get them on ebay pretty cheap if you watch.
at the moment I just need 2 x MADI, and as space saving as possible.
doesn't have to be cheap :D
but each HD card only can do 32 I/Os, which brings us back to the old G4 since it has 4 PCI Slots ...

mulletchuck said:
those OB vans are INSANE!!   is that something that an arena might purchase?   or maybe a Concert hall?    Who would rent/buy something like that?

an arena or concert hall would build a studio in the building ;D
but think about it:
how is your favorite football match / concert / motor race / olympics / election campaign / event etc broadcasted to your home?
how are all those live DVDs from your favorite band recorded?
some bands even need such equipment for their show (thinking of the big video walls with live pictures).
normally they are rented, but some bigger broadcast companies (like the one I work for) have their own.
(check the references of obvan.de to get an idea)

but back to the topic: how do I modernize our 128 channels pro tools in one of them  ???
you will understand the space issue in that cars, each rack unit space costs a fortune ;D

but back to the topic: how do I modernize our 128 channels pro tools in one of them  ???
you will understand the space issue in that cars, each rack unit space costs a fortune ;D

well your only option is to either buy new pro tools cards which there are new ones rumored to be coming in 2012 or buy a magma chasis which can convert the old pic to work in a new intel mac.

Don't they have a madi interface now?

Best,
j

EDIT:
Will a couple of these work:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/HD-MADI/features

Yeah. Looks like you will need four cards but these would take up just two more RU and you could send/receive to/from the madi router as required.

I almost bought Pro Tools 9 today but it doesn't do ADC for hardware. So I STILL have to manually compensate anyway. Hopefully HD will be cheaper on Ebay now and I can change out my whole system. But it does have a few worthwhile features. Such as editing on another computer without an interface etc.

John

but only up to 32 channels if I understand it correctly ...
I need a replacement for our G4 with 4 HD cards to have 128 MADI channels :'(

OK, you said you need a replacement. Why?  What are you trying to get that you don't have now?
Is it that you want to run PT9 and the G4 won't do it?

Also, what are the details as far as the chain from analog to PT?  Are you now going analog to the analog I/O cards on 4 192s? Or are you maybe coming off of a digital console using AES and would like to use MADI instead?  How many U are you using for the complete chain? I'm guessing that you're using 20U right now.

I think that the same (reduced) density may be doable with Mac or PC, but it may be easier to achieve w/ a PC.  Is PC an option?

I'm happy to toss ideas at you, if you're game  ;D

mulletchuck said:
those OB vans are INSANE!!   is that something that an arena might purchase?   or maybe a Concert hall?    Who would rent/buy something like that?

OT; I have worked several years of college basketball tournament broadcast, and there are probably 2 trucks like this per game, along with a small herd of various satellite uplink trucks, miles and miles of wire between them all and all through the arenas.  I don't know the total personnel count, but press conference broadcast and distribution alone requires 6 people and a full day of setup.    When I ever have any doubts about peoples willingness to work hard and coordinate under pressure, those events restore my faith in human ability.  The amount of hardware, labor, and coordination among people who may never see the venue or one another again, is amazing.  I don't know the military, but it seems to resemble. 

I have had a number of A2 ( 2nd audio engineer) freelance jobs with remote trucks recording concerts in arenas and larger churches. 

Stagefright13 said:
I almost bought Pro Tools 9 today but it doesn't do ADC for hardware. So I STILL have to manually compensate anyway.

John

Can you explain, please?  ADC should be in the DAW software.  Isn't it in all PT 9 versions now, even LE?  Are you saying you have hardware latency that it won't compensate for?

tommypiper said:
Stagefright13 said:
I almost bought Pro Tools 9 today but it doesn't do ADC for hardware. So I STILL have to manually compensate anyway.

John

Can you explain, please?  ADC should be in the DAW software.  Isn't it in all PT 9 versions now, even LE?  Are you saying you have hardware latency that it won't compensate for?

PT 9 does Delay Compensation for hardware.  You do need to set it.  It is in one of the promotion videos.

How it works, I believe, is that you set the time that it takes for a signal to come out your hardware and back in.  You set the latency in samples for each output (which should really all be the same).  The Automatic Delay Compensation (ADC) engine takes care of the signal before the the output (which is compensated by the setting) and then fed signal at the correct time.

It appears as those these hardware output settings can be saved for the various devices.

CC

Latest posts

Back