flying faders I question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Is there any fast way to delete mixes? I am sure there is but I can't find it... I have to do them one at a time...  I have a system that  the hard dis is down to about 30% left and causing all kinds of buggy issues which is usually related to an almost full hard drive... so is there anyway to to bulk erase mixes stored internally?

I used to use a program called StupenDOS, which ran in a DOS shell. It had a "Tree" view setting and allowed you to "Prune" branches, i.e. delete whole directories/sub-directories. You had to know which directories were which though, as FF doesn't name them, but uses numbers. Another usefull program was LIST.com by Vernon D. Buerg, which allowed you to view files as text so that you can see what you need to delete.
Don't know if they are still around now though....

Is the box running a Microsoft DOS?

DEL \mixes\hot-tuna\16May\*.* will delete all files in the specified directory.

DELTREE (or rmdir in linux or XP) will trash everything in and below a specified directory:
DELTREE \mixes\hot-tuna
http://www.computerhope.com/deltree.htm

> LIST.com by Vernon D. Buerg

Loved it, used it, paid for it several times.

Vernon passed away recently:
http://www.petaluma360.com/article/20100107/COMMUNITY/100109636
http://dwwatkins.com/in-memory-of-vern-buerg.htm
Julie passed before him.

A copy of LIST 9.4 is available here:
http://www.sfr-fresh.com/windows/misc/dos/list94b.zip/

box does run on dos and windows 2.1 that was programed to run flying faders and is confinded to doing that. I can get to dos.  Dos code is not the problem. I grew up around dos.  Finding where the mixes are stored via dos is one problem. If I did that, I could wipe all the mixes and be done. Otherwise you must delete each mix one at a time and it takes for ever. I am talking like 4 years worth of mixes that are all backed up and so forth.  So just need to erase all of them without having to re format the entire system... the drive maxes out at 20 megs and each mixes is super super small in terms of data so will take for ever. In fact I spent an entire afternoon deleting mixes only to have the drive size increase by 1% according to flying faders...

I don't believe there is a quick method. Flying Faders II on W7 has full file management, of course.

pucho812 said:
Is there any fast way to delete mixes? I am sure there is but I can't find it... I have to do them one at a time...  I have a system that  the hard dis is down to about 30% left and causing all kinds of buggy issues which is usually related to an almost full hard drive... so is there anyway to to bulk erase mixes stored internally?

Flying Faders I hate.

I always used to tell everyone that the hard drive is NOT a storage area. -You want it kept? -You make your copies and backups.

When the drive got crowded, I used to wipe format and re-install.

Job done.

Keith

Is the hard disk the original one? If so, it's quite small in capacity, and so StupenDOS will be able to give you a full Tree view. If the disk has been replaced with a larger (relatively!) one, then SD will run out of memory before it has loaded all the directories/sub/sub/sub directories.
List.com will be able to show you where the mixes are, and what directories belong to which client mix, and then SD (hopefully can Prune the necessary branches of the tree (directories).
In the end, we started backing up the hard drives in our 2 consoles to ZIP disk, we'd then re-format the disk from a boot floppy, and copy back only the necessary  directories/files to give a system that appeared to be as originally installed!
Those were the days when I new what I was doing with computers......  :)

RIP Vern, you made one of the most useful, simple, programs I've ever used.

SSLtech said:
Flying Faders I hate.

I always used to tell everyone that the hard drive is NOT a storage area. -You want it kept? -You make your copies and backups.

When the drive got crowded, I used to wipe format and re-install.

Job done.

Keith

yeah that's looking like the best option... it's getting tough cannibalizing systems together. might just be time for flying faders II

This might help in FF v3.1:

Delete Mix only operates on a single item at a time, but Delete Mix works on a Mix, or a Title, or a Project, or a Client. For example, deleting a Client deletes all Projects, Titles, and Mixes for that Client. In the Delete Mix window, only load the Client field and then click Delete. A dialog will appear asking if you really want to delete the Client, warning you that all Projects, Titles, and Mixes for that Client will be deleted as well. Click OK and they are gone.

Latest posts

Back