HAR-BAL...gimmic or not?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started using it today...seriously amazing...

Looking at different songs, its very interesting to see what note fundamentals and harmonics are accentuated...

Analyzing pink Floyd' "comfortably numb" its amazing, everything about 1k and below is peaks just on the notes and their harmonics....

I don't know but having a minor epiphany here.  ;D ;D

abechap024 said:
I don't know but having a minor epiphany here.  ;D ;D

What has it taught you?

I haven't tried it but automated make it sound better things give me the willies. I miss the old style engineer bragging about not doing anything. Many old timers bragged about not using a single EQ or compressor on the record. Way cooler.

It may turn out to be the greatest thing ever . . . I haven't a clue

But - the demonstration feels like it's being marketed to an audience that doesn't want to learn how to properly use an EQ.  I'm getting  too much of a "watch - drag-click- and Presto! perfect master in no time!" kind of vibe from it.

I could use the plug-in EQs on Logic and watch the response wave and adjust in real time - what's the difference?

What else is missing?    I?    L?       

Haha, yes seems to be really marketed at the "I'll master it myself on my SkullKANdy headphones" type crowd.

There isn't ever a replacement for a good mastering engineer...with good ears in a good room, with good ears.

And despite that  this software trys to give the impression that it will "automatically eq your songs". It is interesting.

I like how it analyzes the whole song and gives you an over all average of the song. A sonic signature if you will. I spent a day analyzing different songs and amazed on what I was seeing. I've looked at spectrum analyzers before but never found any as user friendly and simple as this piece of software.

Just looking at the harmonic and note fundamentals was just amazing to me. You can tell what key the song is in by what frequencies you are seeing; and all the really well balanced full mixes seem to have much tighter well defined harmonics.

I'm still fascinated by this piece of software, even if just as a learning tool.

abechap024 said:
I'm still fascinated by this piece of software, even if just as a learning tool.

Remember, if it starts talking to you and making you do bad things it must be destroyed. ;D

pucho812 said:
Gold said:
Remember, if it starts talking to you and making you do bad things it must be destroyed. ;D

I say the same about artist and producers ;D

I want to mix a whole record of pure nothing, just pieces of home-brewed equipment all lending their sonic aurora to the noise floor. Then send it to get mastered.

abechap024 said:
pucho812 said:
Gold said:

I say the same about artist and producers ;D

I want to mix a whole record of pure nothing, just pieces of home-brewed equipment all lending their sonic aurora to the noise floor. Then send it to get mastered.

I believe that was the last imogen heap album and it got a grammy nomination. She recorded and mixed it herself  as well.

pucho812 said:
I believe that was the last imogen heap album and it got a grammy nomination. She recorded and mixed it herself  as well.

It's pretty remarkable and I like her music and songwriting, but sonically the album is certainly not grammy material, and it's got "plugin" written all over it, sounds like a complete ITB production to me.

[/quote]

sonically the album is certainly not grammy material, and it's got "plugin" written all over it, sounds like a complete ITB production to me.
[/quote]

Speaks two things to me, the quality of the songwriting combined with the lack of critical ear by the consumer public equals Grammy.

"Kings of Leon - Only by the night", the whole album just screams of plugins. The mixes sound really crappy with odd aliasing all around. Then there's the ruined mastering.

It still sold over 7 million. Obviously song writing was really good. Something to think about when obsessing over gear.

Kingston said:
"Kings of Leon - Only by the night", the whole album just screams of plugins. The mixes sound really crappy with odd aliasing all around. Then there's the ruined mastering.

It still sold over 7 million. Obviously song writing was really good. Something to think about when obsessing over gear.

Yeah, but then a pigeon pooped in the bass player's mouth during a performance. Draw your own conclusions.

-a

Back