FEELER: Cases and front panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandeurloo

White Market Member
Hey Guys, I couldn't wait any longer to show you what I have been working on.  Many of the guys here in this community have contributed a ton to my musical ambition through their time and talents and larger number of amazing products.  But, I noticed a need for some high quality metal work especially here in North America!  So, I put my hand to the challenge and here are the results of the first proto! I hope you guys dig them and hopefully they will be able to help push many of you over the edge on some of your projects you have been sitting on or just simplify your life a little so you can do more music.

Sorry about the crappy photos but I'm pumped to show these off.  If there is enough interest I can start a WHITE MARKET Thread for them.  I've got samples back so far of 1, 2 and 3 space rack heights (9" deep).  I also have a few faceplate layouts already done-- like the LA 2A in the photos and a few other projects.  I would think turn-around on many of these could be just a few weeks if there is any rush for something.

BASIC MODELS
The case will be sold in generic setups.  For instance, if you have a face plate for an upcoming project and need a 2 space unit with stereo XLR's and an IEC inlet cut out, you could just order a 2 space stereo unit.  If you have a mono project you are working on and just want a high quality case in a 1 space height you can order the 1 space mono unit.

CUSTOM MODELS
If you need a case for an LA 2A from here or from Drip then you can just order an LA 2A case and it will come with a face plate and case with the holes all cut out for you.  I am currently working on other designs and layouts so if you have a need, email me and I can get them going for you as the needs come in.  I already am working on a Pultec.  I want to do a pair for my own use (that's what started all of this)!!! 

FINISHES
1. All cases will be powder coated black. 
2. Basic Cases can have a black powder coated faceplate or a bare aluminum faceplate.  The mounting holes will be cut, but that is it on these.
3. Custom Models will have black cases, custom front panel colors, and silk screening.  These will need to be run in modest quantities.  Not massive but I would say between 5-10 to start.

SPECS
1. 18 gauge metal cases
2. Aluminum face plates
3. 9" deep (I will be doing 11" as well, but I figured I'd start with this.)
4. 17" wide case
5. Vent holes on Tops and Sides

*****Note: the screws are not correct they are just what I had at the shop. Like I said, I was excited to show these off.*****

top.jpg

side.jpg

LA-2A-Faceplate.jpg

Looks good. If the price is right then I would definitely buy some...I hate doing metal work  ;D

Yeah, looks good, would potentially, eventually, definitely buy some!
However, what do you think the prices would be?
Would generic cases with blank front panel be competitive with say, parmetal?

I like them  ;D. I'd prefer a recessed or pan head screw.

I'm not needing any cases currently as I've just ordered a bunch and am working through them at the moment. But I like the idea and would gladly purchase them from you if your priced reasonable.

BTW the extra venting is way worth it for tube projects.

Kevin

yeah , no screws on the top or bottom please
you can do it with a small lip onto the sides

It's been a need for a while , especially panels
if priced right you'll be busy , but you have to
account for the post office upping the overall cost
to end user , good luck

I may be living in a cave, but there might be a niche for a really shallow 3U version, say 5-6", with a hinged front, for folks doing tube p2p projects with everything mounted on the back, vari mu's, pultecs and so on.

timeframe is of interest, need to order several cases soon.  also, how thick are front panels going to be?

okgb said:
yeah , no screws on the top or bottom please
you can do it with a small lip onto the sides

There is a lip on top and bottom (for strength) already and 3 screws across the back if you want to use them or leave them out is up to you.  As you can see it also has a lip over the the sides that screws go into as well so it's got plenty to hold it together.

okgb said:
It's been a need for a while , especially panels
if priced right you'll be busy , but you have to
account for the post office upping the overall cost
to end user , good luck

Thanks.
I am still trying to nail down the pricing.  A lot if it has to do with quantity as you can imagine but my hope is to coming in at little lower then what is out there now and for everyone in the Americas it should be way cheaper shipping!  Shipping has always be way to much along with the currency conversion has killed me in the past for cases so this should be a solid improvement!

grantlack said:
timeframe is of interest, need to order several cases soon.  also, how thick are front panels going to be?

hey Grant.  Time frame could be fast.  What are you looking for and when?  If it is something that needs to be done quick PM me.  But honestly I don't want to do any money exchange until I have a White Market Thread.  Hit me up.  If it is something you need ASAP!

Dan

kml23956 said:
I hate doing the metal work.  How are you planning on shipping?  I just paid $26 shipping for two par-metals.

thats not too bad... cheapest from parmetal was, for 2 enclosures, 60 usd shipping to mexico pretty darn expensive if u ask me.. but cant find enclosures down this road :(

Here is a pic of the 2 space and just the basic front panel. 

doublefront.jpg

Back2stack.jpg

double_stack_side.jpg

The drum is from my new kit I just built today!  But that's another thing.  :)

I think this is a great idea. Having a source for cases with XLRs and power entry holes pre-drilled would really open a door for many people who want to do DIY, but no metalwork. I think this would be quite popular if the price is right.

My vote for a standard case is 2RU, 8" deep for 8 channels a la SCA or API projects.

Latest posts

Back