Tube-Tech CL1B repair in NYC?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhoney

I know Tube-Tech refers all their repair work to a place in Las Vegas, but does anyone know a local New York tech who they trust with these CL1B's? Mine just stopped passing audio today. The needle on the vu meter jumps up to 0 when powered on, but the main power lamp and the vu meter backlight are both dark with power on. 
Thanks for any advice.

Them thangs have something like a 15mA tiny ass fuse inside of them that are known to blow.  I've serviced 2 of them, same thang both times.

Butterylicious said:
Them thangs have something like a 15mA tiny ass fuse inside of them that are known to blow.  I've serviced 2 of them, same thang both times.

Does that fuse blow because of a tube failure?

Just a guess but the lights are probably fed from say the 6V tube heater section.

Unplug it then open it up and take a picture of it, according to the manual there is a separate PCB for power. Just rom reading the manual it looks like the heater voltage is suspect, but a 15ma fuse is way low for a ECC82+ECC83.

Post a picture here and one of us can point you in a direction maybe. Do you have a cheap DMM? if so check the fuses...

15ma can't be for tubes
but check the obvious [ fuses ]
unless it had a slow start i can see them going
on the spike of power up sometimes
i have a tubetech eq in which the resister
on the [ bulb or 6v  heater line ] went once
fine ever since

It sounds low but there may be other reasons - assume something is being protected.  Just like in a big tube hi-fi or guitar amp - you can fuse several different things and the protection range is often too wide to be covered by a single fuse.

For the moment I'd stay with the stock fuse.  If it repeatedly blows on consecutive start ups then likely something else besides a 'once every 100th start up'  umbrella fuse problem.

Anyone have the power supply schematics?

as with anything... start off by making sure the PSU is producing proper voltages... Since there are tubes in it, do the tubes glow at all? That may help you in in what direction to look at and too look for. It's possible you blew a fuse or more if a tube is going out...  Do you have access to a tube tester? I would get those tubes tested. It's possible one is finished and not passing signal.

Yep.  The heater/ lamps bridge rectifier.  It gets baked because they used an underrated part.  Gets hot, degrades the solder joints, gets hotter, degrades more, poof.
PM me for a reference.  Good 20+ year tech.
Mike

Latest posts

Back