How much amplification needed a for ribbon microphone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentlevoice1

Hi  :)

I'm considering building a ribbon microphone and now am in the process of designing an amplifier (active, no trafo) for the ribbon. I've read that the output of a ribbon microphone (the microphone book p. 58) is 0.02 mV/Pa. I wonder, though, how much amplification is needed to lift the "raw" output to about 3 Volts AC under practical circumstances (i.e. music & speech, low level nature sounds)? I'll be using NeoDym magnets, a magnetic return path, and a width of the membrane of appr. 6 mm.

Any of you know about this? The input impedance of the amplifier can be from ~10 ohms to  600 ohms.

Also, I'm considering building a capacitor microphone. I do have some special needs, though, such as a response down to about 1 Hz and preferably up to no less than ~40 kHz. And I'd prefer a loose membrane like the ribbon microphone's, if possible. Any way this can be made? It is an option to include a chamber (ventilated, though) behind the microphone.

Best wishes for your weekend ...

Jesper

Hello Jesper,

You might want to look at those threads, first:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33809.0
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22301.0
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5743.0

Best, M

Hi Marik,

Thanks for adding the links to the other threads - very informative. What particularly caught my eyes was a comment by Rossi:

1. "All ribbon mics have trannies. There's no way of using a ribbon motor without a transformer."

And a comment by you:

2. ... saying that loading a ribbon too hard would cause the LF to be "chocked" (or "choked"?). I couldn't see, though, if this loading took place after a transformer or directly at the ribbon ...

In relation to "1." I don't know if this is actually the case (?) but would like your/others' comment on this ....

What I'm considering is a circuitry close to the one on the schematic attached. Instead of the transistor on the schematic I'll use either 2SC3329 or 2SC2240. They have close to identical noise figures and low Rbb.

With the 2N3391A (I don't have spice files for the 2SC.. types) the noise level on the output is ~80nV/sqrt(Hz), however, the noise figure for this transistor is about 5 dBs at "standard conditions" whereas it is <1 dB for the 2SC3329 at close to similar conditions. The amplification of this stage is ~145 (Although I have not had such amplification factors before, I have had good experiences with high amplification in a single stage).

Input impedance (at DC) is ~6.5 ohms. All values as simulated in LTSpice. Power supplies are batteries so basically very little (no?) noise from here.

My question is if this would make for sufficiently low noise figures - given the comments in my previous post about the design of the ribbon mic? I might add that I'm considering a .6 um membrane for the mic.

Regards,

Jesper

P.S.: Please note that resistor values are "simulation values".

Attachments

• prodigy---inputtrin---13-11.jpg
    prodigy---inputtrin---13-11.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 71
MODS: IMHO this is a long way from The Lab; should be Moved to Drawing Board.

> if this would make for sufficiently low noise figures

That plan flows DC current through the ribbon.

I suppose by using strange supply voltages and bias resistors, SPICE is saying the current is zero. Bah. Change the temperature 5 degrees. Change an odd supply voltage by 1%.

There ARE better design techniques. Pick standard supply voltages; funny resistors are easier than funny voltages. Figure out how to use standard values plus a trimmer.

You can get a first-order temperature correction (and lose a cap in the audio area) by replacing R4 with another same-type transistor B-E junction.

Considering the low signal levels, geometry which can not stand large DC input, tyical 2nd-order DC errors higher than signal level, I would be thinking about a servo to control DC. (Steady-state is easy... but will the turn-on thump blow the ribbon out?)

The 1 ohm shown for ribbon impedance is probably unrealistically high??

The common-grid connection is _NOT_ low noise in audio systems. Either it loads the source so bad you lose half the source Power (3dB NF), or it mis-matches and emitter resistance noise exceeds source noise. As shown you have 6.5/7.5 or 86% of unloaded voltage, but you have 1 ohm of "useful" hiss (ribbon) in series with 7 to 4 ohms of "useless" hiss (transistor) for a very high Noise Factor (if SPICE says otherwise, there's a flaw between its tiny brain and your understanding of its idiot answers).

I have not dinked with naked ribbons, but I thought they liked to be wired symmetrical to cancel hum fields. That seems to require a balanced input.

Taking 0.2 ohms for ribbon, you want 1/Gm well below 0.1 ohms, or >10S. That suggests emitter current in excess of 300mA, and base resistance below 0.1 ohms.

Depends on how much level is going into it
A single violin will be less than a section or egtr
I'd have to see how many positions up half is ,
on a 60db pre that i use , but it's never more than that

it's not like anyone is using them for foley ,
but it does need to be a clean  , quiet gain

Hi.

The only commercial active ribbon mic i've seen without a transformer is the Oktava ML51. I haven't used one, but Marik gives his opinion on the noise level. Here's a link to the circuit.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5743.msg72562#msg72562

The 1 ohm shown for ribbon impedance is probably unrealistically high??

Yes. The value of 0.2 ohm that you used below is usually a better estimate. And of course it can be calculated from height, length & thickness for a particular design.

I have not dinked with naked ribbons, but I thought they liked to be wired symmetrical to cancel hum fields.
I have dinked with quite a few, and in my experience, very much so!

I'm considering a .6 um membrane for the mic.
Do you mean 0.6 micrometers for the aluminium thickness? You may be up to around 0.5 ohms for the ribbon resistance depending on length & width. But good luck with that - it will be very tricky to cut & handle at that thickness.

Stewart

> KM184 has 15 mV/Pa, so we need almost 60 dB to get things up to standard mic level.

So many standards!

That looks like a large condenser value. I'd call it "hot" (and some would call me "old-fashioned").

635A, SM57 dynamics will be more like 1.5mV/Pa (0.15mV at 74dB SPL).

That means "only" 40dB or 1:100 gain from naked ribbon to "normal dynamic mike" level.

It takes GOOD design to recover dynamic mike levels with amp-hiss lower than good room noise. Asking to recover signals from 40dB or 100:1 lower voltage seems unlikely.

A brute-force approach is to run the input device at 100 times the Gm. With BJT this is "only" 100 times more current than we use to take 150 ohm dynamics directly. So from a few mA to a few hundred mA.

OTOH the voltages are 100 times lower, so in principle the first stage could use 0.03V supply instead of 3V supply. Except Si BJTs won't start to work at 0.03V, there's no good 0.03V battery, and we need ~~3V later on in the chain, so what advantage?

OTOH, the POWER in a ribbon is not substantially less than a Dynamic. For identical area and bandwidth (if that were practical) the ribbon might make more POWER. But the geometry forces very low conductor length/area ratios, low resistance. Low voltage, high current. (And its other virtues and costs suggest very small area, little acoustic power captured.)

A transformer is the natural fix for awkward impedances.

Most of the flaws in transformers are from trying to work high impedances. Capacitance sucks, but not at lo-Z. A 0.2:200 transformer is intrinsically easier to make wide-band. (When it isn't, there's usually an economic reason. Core too small or undersized primary wire.)

IMHO, trying to design-out the ribbon's transformer is an energy-sink.

Hi all of you

& thank you very much for replying and suggesting amendments to my circuitry. I tried to post this text yesterday evening but without luck so try again now. I note that meanwhile PRR has posted again (thanks :)) - I have considered your reply in my comments below, although have not yet commented on your high current suggestion as it seems that some of the other aspects already discussed may mean a possible "go" or not. Please see below.

To PRR:
Thanks for your detailed comments. They inspired more thoughts and a couple more comments:
The common-grid connection is _NOT_ low noise in audio systems. Either it loads the source so bad you lose half the source Power (3dB NF), or it mis-matches and emitter resistance noise exceeds source noise.

Ok- looks as if I can post in smaller bits - will do that ...

Gentlevoice's comments. (I could open the doc and paste them in, but had to get rid of the accented e's!)

-----------------

I note that meanwhile PRR has posted again (thanks :)) - I have considered your reply in my comments below, although have not yet commented on your high current suggestion as it seems that some of the other aspects already discussed may mean a possible "go" or not. Please see below.

@ PRR
Thanks for your detailed comments. They inspired more thoughts and a couple more comments:

The common-grid connection is _NOT_ low noise in audio systems. Either it loads the source so bad you lose half the source Power (3dB NF), or it mis-matches and emitter resistance noise exceeds source noise.

Hmm.. I have used it with audible success (to my preferences) in an A/D converter's I/V stage. Also, I know that such a stage was used in L'Audiophile's le Prepre back in the eighties (?) - a design intended for MC cartridge amplification (impedance 2-3 ohms, though). I used to have one of these (with the extra transistor you mention - which BTW in Spice makes for a low frequency hump < 2 Hz which is one reason I chose not to use this configuration) and in my opinion it had some qualities. I do read your other comments, however, about noise. And I remember that used with a moving coil cartridge it was not entirely noise-free (hiss only) which is a must in this application.

I reckon there may be another reason for using it, though:

- Due to it's very low input impedance the overall impedance of the ribbon + input circuitry is low. If I'm not too mistaken (I may be :) ) airborne hum & other electromagnetic noise has relatively low power, yet may have "high" voltage, meaning that in low impedance circuitry hum induction would be lower.

I don't know, however, if loading the ribbon with a low impedance will choke the LF response as Marik noted in one of his thread - links. Also, if an additional 40 dB amplification relative to a dynamic mic (and another 3 dB to the KM184's 15 mV) is needed - that is some ....

I have not dinked with naked ribbons, but I thought they liked to be wired symmetrical to cancel hum fields. That seems to require a balanced input.

If that is so it would indeed be an issue as a balanced input is not an option. No way to work around this?

In considering your other comments I agree with your thoughts on currents going through the membrane & a DC servo. I didn't include it in the schematic to keep focus on the amplifying part. I'll be using the system off-grid and the voltages correspond with typical lead-acid battery voltages some hours after charging (most likely will be lithium - haven't decided on that yet. I first would like to know if the basic ribbon design will work).

Very low noise in this design is however crucial so if it cannot be done ......?? I'm also open to using a condenser or another superb microphone technology, but need it to go down to ~1 Hz and up to ~40 kHz - again with low noise. And a loose membrane is very much preferred.

@zebra50
The only commercial active ribbon mic i've seen without a transformer is the Oktava ML51. I haven't used one, but Marik gives his opinion on the noise level. Here's a link to the circuit.

Hi  ;) I've taken a look at the microphone and without knowing I guess it would use a less powerful magnet system than the Neodym magnets? I also looked at the schematic and noticed that the supply voltage is 3 VDC meaning that the current through the transistor necessarily will be very low. With the 2SC3329, going from 0.1 mA to 5 mA means a 6 dB NF improvement.

Do you mean 0.6 micrometers for the aluminium thickness? You may be up to around 0.5 ohms for the ribbon resistance depending on length & width. But good luck with that - it will be very tricky to cut & handle at that thickness.

Actually I'll be using an appr. 0.4 mymeter (0.4*10-6 meter) thickness which I hope to attach to an ultra thin mesh - sort of like a spider's web. And no, I wouldn't like to tinker with the 0.4 mymeter membrane on its own  :-\ I don't yet know what the resistance will be but probably about 15% lower than a similar thickness aluminum membrane.

@ Samuel Groner
Hi- thanks, Samuel. What I'm looking for, though, is the "raw" (unaltered=unamplified) output of the ribbon + magnet motor itself. I would also be interested in knowing the "raw" output of a typical 3/4" condenser capsule.

Wauw - many words ... so maybe I should sum up. I'd appreciate to know more about:

Is it possible to make a naked ribbon feed into a single ended amplification stage - no transformer - without hum (e.g. with a low impedance input amplifier)? Is it an option to split the conducting foil of a ribbon microphone into e.g. 5 paths thereby raising the resistance and matching better to the input of the amplifier AND maintaining superb sound?
And if not, do you have a suggestion for a condenser microphone/other microphone design going from ~1 Hz to ~40 kHz with a loose membrane?
Other suggestions/comments?

If you got this far then thanks for reading & best wishes for your evening (it is so here in Denmark)  ;)

Jesper

zebra50 said:
Hi.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5743.msg72562#msg72562

And guess what?--I was wrong! :-[
Apparently, the one I had once (about 15 years ago) did not have a transformer. But lately I repaired a few and found that they actually had transformer. Who knows, I bought the one I used to own second hand, so somebody might just took it out before, or some Russian worker with hangover just forgot to put it there....

zebra50 said:
I have not dinked with naked ribbons, but I thought they liked to be wired symmetrical to cancel hum fields.
I have dinked with quite a few, and in my experience, very much so!

Some actually "like" to be grounded for minimum hum (the top clamp).

zebra50 said:
I'm considering a .6 um membrane for the mic.

Stewart got some serious measurement tools  ;D ;D ;D :p!

Indeed, those are PITA to work with. Two main problems are noise and LF response (due to both, loading and Pri inductance). Not many ribbon transformers out there will have correct ratio and L to work well with those. But they can sound NICE!!!

Best, M

Hello,

I started this thread some time ago - and got very fine replies from you here in this forum - however, now am evaluating matters again and have some new solutions that might change matters. So if Marik & PRR are still around - and feel inclined to reply - I have this "updated" question:

I have attached a copy of the circuitry I was considering for a ribbon microphone at this point in time. As I understood PRR the circuit would - among other less optimum design approaches - generate quite a lot of noise due to the ribbon membrane's low resistance and other potential resistances in the circuit. Please, when looking, disregard other concerns about the design as my main point of clarification would be the noise level of the circuitry. In practice I'll change the design to give a better stability etc.

As it is I may have access to a very good membrane having about 6.5 ohms resistance at a width of 6mm and 5cms length. Also I would be using transistors like 2SC3329 which have a typical rbb' of 2 ohms (datasheet value - no Ic indicated). I would bias these transistors at e.g. 5 mA, thus lowering the rbb' even further (as I understand this). The 2SC3329's would be connected very close to the membrane thus reducing ("eliminating") further resistances in wires & tracks etc.

Given a very efficient magnetsystem can I ask you what I could expect the membrane's output to be (mV/Pa). And would the noise level be very low - or maybe - how low would you guess it would be?

Reading the thread again, just now, I realized that there might be a new solution to this since the membrane's resistance is relatively high ... so I'd appreciate your insights ...

Greetings,

Jesper

Attachments

• common_base_amplifier.jpg
    common_base_amplifier.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 27
> now am evaluating matters again

All that seems to have changed in 18 months is:

> membrane having about 6.5 ohms resistance

Look at bottom of page 6 in the LM394 low-noise transistor datasheet: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm394.pdf

Low noise for 1K source is about 1mA. For 10K, about 0.1mA. For 100K, about 0.01mA. Simple inverse relation (within limits). Therefore for about 10 ohms, the current needs to be up near _100mA_. Running at 1/20th of that (5mA) is like using 1K source at 0.05mA.... OK, that's not far up the noise curve.

> I'll change the design to give a better stability etc.

You have to (as-is, outside SPICE, it will spill large DC current into the ribbon). And the changes are sure to affect noise. Probably for the worse.

But what is your real question? "Should I solder $5 of parts and try it?" Sure! What could go wrong? Oh, you could burn a ribbon-- try it with dummy resistors and see what the ribbon "feels" as temperature and power voltage varies before you put a good ribbon on it.

I don't know who's designed your 6R5 ribbon for you but it's clearly not optimised for noise.

In an electromagnetic transducer, efficiency peaks when the 'conductor' mass equals the air load mass.
  • A heavier conductor means the air has to push too much mass.
  • But a lighter conductor simply means the resistance of the 'voice coil' will generate more noise power without generating more signal power.
Good ribbons will have DC of 0R2 or less.
On the transformerless amp side, I've discussed using my version of the Leach circuit with a friend.  The actual circuit is described in my MicBuilders directory.  You have to join.

The original was for MC phono cartridges and I believe it is the quietest in the known universe with measured 0.28nV/rtHz performance with 2 complemenatary transistors of rbb-5R1 running 3mA

Remember you need to get the sum of all other noise resistances LESS than 0R2 to avoid worsening the inherent S/N of your ribbon by at least 3dB.

To get rbb less than 0R2 needs more than 16 instead of 2 transistors.  One of the types is Unobtainium.
For re (noise of 'perfect' transistor) < 0R2 needs at least 63mA with this circuit.  Other circuits will need twice as much current.  At these currents, I'd be nervous of burnt ribbons too.  :eek:

Then there's the ESR of the electrolytics too.  You might be very lucky & get these down to 0R2

With all this effort, you will still degrade the inherent noise of the ribbon by 6dB.

Marik can sell you a good ribbon transformer which will degrade the inherent noise of a ribbon by much less than 2dB.  8)

Hi both,

... Interesting to read your feedback this morning ... thanks for replying ;-)

@PRR: Yes, you're right - the main change related to this thread is the membrane's DC value, although - less visible in the thread - many thoughts have gone into how this microphone can be realized in the - to me - best possible way. To that end your comments and examples about the noise levels are very helpful in clarifying possible compromises to make...

@Ricardo: Hmmm... You talk about matters that I have an intuitive understanding of but not a fully technical one ...

In an electromagnetic transducer, efficiency peaks when the 'conductor' mass equals the air load mass.
A heavier conductor means the air has to push too much mass.
But a lighter conductor simply means the resistance of the 'voice coil' will generate more noise power without generating more signal power.

So what you are saying are two things (?): 1. That there's an optimum mass for a membrane (I guess depending on the parameters desired to be optimum?) & 2. That - for some reason - the resistance of the membrane should be below 0.2 ohms. Right? (and also why?)

I'd like to see your Leech circuit version, if possible. How may I join this?

And then about running current through the ribbon I will design the circuitry to have a very stable DC potential so that the current through the ribbon can be controlled. I wonder also if it could actually be positive to heat the ribbon just a bit - loudspeakers IMHO often sound better when the temperatures are higher ... Also, could it be that the ever so slight - local, due to current - tensioning of the ribbon caused by a bit of current through the membrane may give a more predictable distortion pattern? A thought ...

I also see your point of the circuitry as a whole being able to support the very low ribbon and rbb' resistance levels. I don't know what the impedances of the electrolytics I may be using are at low frequencies - not indicated in the datasheets so although I find them to be very good the impedances could be - or is - high(er) at low frequencies. Lead-acid batteries on the other hand have very low impedances in low frequency areas ...

I also appreciate your reference to Marik - I heard a (low resolution though) sample from his microphone the other day and it indeed seems to have a very special "presence" to it ;-) ... but as it is I happen to be less inclined to transformers ... 

Thanks again - both of you - for replying!

Greetings,

Jesper

Latest posts

Back