streaming recorder recommendations?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickjam

I'm looking for software to run on a laptop to capture up to 24 tracks of audio from a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 via Firewire and stream them to separate uncompressed WAV files on an eSATA external drive.  Mac is not out of the question, but I'd prefer a Windows or Linux solution at this moment. 

I need the ability to record long stretches live without an additional Save operation.  Essentially like a virtual 24-track tape machine.

Before embarking on a project to write my own, does such software exist?

Is it to be played back as a multi track would too? Or just to make the individual wav files?
not sure i understand, you just need one of a number of sequencers available.
i have used a pro40 to record 16 tracks direct to a seperate drive with reaper and cubase.  successfully for up to 2hours.
any of the tracks can be exported. My laptops not exactly high tech but i cant imagine the extra tracks would be a problem on my desktop, are you chaining the interfaces?

The main priority is just to write individual WAV files to be imported directly into any DAW package for editing.  I'm using only the Saffire connected by FireWIRE.  Sixteen channels would slave into the Saffire by Lightpipes. 

Multitrack playback would be a plus, but most important is reliable, sample accurate recording.  No punches...just arm some tracks and record.  The purpose is for live performance captures.

alesis hd24 ? tascam mx2424 ? tascam x48 ? madiface with laptop and .bwf in combo with the right digital console ? Hope the console your gonna use has direct outs or you have separate mic-pre's.

so many choices...

There was a little Mac program which does exactly this but can't recall the name; if interested I'll look it up. However it seems to me as any DAW software would basically do the trick--ardour?

Samuel

Samuel Groner said:
Boom recorder is it: http://www.macmusic.org/software/view.php/lang/en/id/3269/Boom-Recorder

Samuel

That's exactly the kind of software I'm looking for.  Now to make sure there isn't a Win or Linux equivalent before seeking purchasing clearance to pick up a third (Mac) laptop.

A slightly off topic post: How do you find the Liquid Saffire 56? I am looking into getting one of these in the near future but I want to explore a few options first.

Thanks
Rob

RAM said:
A slightly off topic post: How do you find the Liquid Saffire 56? I am looking into getting one of these in the near future but I want to explore a few options first.

Thanks
Rob
All in all I'm really happy with it.  I won't say the liquid preamps are just like the real things, but they are certainly musical and useful.  The dark side is the routing/monitoring console software.  It's pretty confusing and limited in customization to match your studio configuration and workflow.  It also prefers to have a Firewire bus all to itself.  I've given Focusrite a lot of feedback on improvements to the console.  Even if they  don't take any of my suggestions, its still a winning box at that  price point.

hey,
did you have any luck with boom recorder?

i must agree about the focusrite stuff, i dont have the liquid emulators but i believe the setup is very similar in the pro 40.
there are a lot of routing options and i think its really quite flexible(particular latency free monitor for easy overdubs), its just figuring it all out, mental confusing at first.
I definitely think the interface could have been reworked too... maybe if they didn't try to fit it all on one screen! but never had a problem with its operation and the recent update extends the io to 78 with two chained units.
the only real gripe i have is with the headphone outs, everything else is just dandy.
most firewire peripherals i've used like their own buss tho, i bought an extra pci card for fw external HD, think it would be fine sharing a buss if it wasnt used for live audio.

so is that 2 sets of 8 channels via seperate adat inputs, what is the highest samplerate through these on the liquid?

Thanks for the info guys it's a toss up between this and maybe an ssl XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX. Slightly different beasts I know. The focusrite looks like a good option given the onboard preamps, and if you can link two it means you can actually get even more i/o than the ssl for even less. But I'll stop thinking out loud now; thanks again!

kepeb: from what I know if you want the full 16 adat in then the max samplerate is 48kHz. But you can get 8 inputs at 96kHz (4 channels each through the 2 adat inputs). Or you can get 192kHz but with a max of only two inputs.

Rob

Latest posts

Back