BA283AV - Locating Parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Family Hoof

Greetings all! I have been visiting this forum and the older ones periodically for quite some time, absorbing all of the knowlege I can. Now I finally have a question that I couldn't find the answer for and so I make my first post.

I've recently decided to do some DIY 1272s so I'm building the BA283AV cards from scratch and have been slowly assembling my parts order lists. So far so good except for some confusion with the capacitors.

I'm using a scan of the original schematic dated May 15, 1971 and am trying to stay as close to this original as possible. I assume that all of the polarized capacitors are electrolytics, namely aluminum, and have been able to find all but one. The 400uF / 4V (C17) does not seem to exist and neither does 390uF @ 4V or anything similar. I thought of using a 1000uF and 680uF in series but cannot find both of these with a 4V rating either. Even outside of electrolytics I can't find anything which isn't SMD with this spec. What do I do?

Also, as for the rest of the caps (non-polarized) in the schematic, I know some are supposed to be tantalum and others polystyrene (or not? correct me please), but how do I know which are which? I'm trying to answer this question myself based on the SCA and JLM versions but any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!,
Jens J.

You can use 470u / 6,3v and 100u / 35v for the others, I have original boards with these values too!
Input and output caps are tants, 10u / 25v and 25u / 16v, use styroflex for the others.

Good luck and welcome to the LAB!

Maybe this'll help.

ba283av.jpg

I replaced the old styroflex caps with polypropylenes, which are easier to find here. They sound great. If there's a sonic difference I can't hear it.

:thumb:

www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/neve/0283-allvers.pdf gives component types and layout, and http://www.jlmaudio.com/neve_BA283.htm gives some component variations Neve used during production. I generally go with the larger electrolytic cap values from the 'variations' page.

Be aware that the gain resistor information for the 'NV' portion (preamp stage) in the '0283-allvers' PDF is wrong. It should be as follows:

Gain = 18dB - no resistor, 23dB - 330 ohm, 28dB, 120 ohm, 33dB - 56 ohm, 38dB - 27 ohm, 43dB, 15 ohm, 48dB, 8.2 ohm. I'm not sure why the typo, but it was apparently done on the original Neve document, so Klett's not responsible, I'm sure. Just don't be tripped up by that.

Also, the tantalum caps ARE polarized, so make sure you install them correctly.

Peace,

JC

I made a complete parts list for the BA283AV. I used it to build a Neve 1272 using the JLM Hotrod. Let me know if there is interest and I can post it publicly.

IIRC, I used metal films, BC components lytics, and Xicon polypropelyne. The 1272 I made sounds fastastic... it really exceeded my expectations.

[quote author="Greg"]I made a complete parts list for the BA283AV. I used it to build a Neve 1272 using the JLM Hotrod. Let me know if there is interest and I can post it publicly.[/quote]

I would love a copy of that, Greg!

Hi Greg,

I would be keen to take a peek as well. Did you use Fabio's board as your board? Or was it a 'vintage' board that needed re-populating?

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="Greg"]I made a complete parts list for the BA283AV. I used it to build a Neve 1272 using the JLM Hotrod. Let me know if there is interest and I can post it publicly.

IIRC, I used metal films, BC components lytics, and Xicon polypropelyne. The 1272 I made sounds fastastic... it really exceeded my expectations.[/quote]

Didn?t you use Styroflex Greg, I thought these were an audio must.
Do you think there are better alternatives today ? in the same price range or not too far?

@matta: I built this using Fabio's BA283AV. A good friend of mine has many Neve modules with original BA283AV. Our plan was do a swap with the "new" BA283AV but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

@ laitue5: What's Styroflex?

I'll post that parts list in a little while.

Latest posts

Back