Size of PCB for Homemade Discrete Opamps - 2520, 1731 etc...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

The lovely layouts that you guys have got on your web sites...
Do they have to be that small - or are they that small because they fit inside the footprint on the premade PCBs
If I am drawing my own PCBs with etch resistant pen - is there any reason why I cannot make it a lot bigger
Or is it small for a reason (lower track lengths etc...)

Well i can't say for sure but my guess is the opamps are so small that they fit into the API 2520 pinout. So you can use them as replacements in professional manufactured boards. But i can understand, i made 14 melcor 1731 and it was a bit hard to solder.

Flo

One time, I saw some Burr-Brown discrete op amps (old stuff) that were large plug-in modules, with two in-line rows of pins sitting to the side rather than the way the 990, 2520, or Melcor does it. So if you need more room to solder, that could be one way to do it. (Think of it this way, you have a limited space for your footprint, but much more flexibility as far as height is concerned.)

I could have picked two of those BB discretes up for $10 a piece, and I should have done it in hindsight.

EDIT: In an attempt to say something useful, when it comes to these small PCBs, be patient and make sure you have a good tip on your soldering iron. It takes time, but I managed to put four Melcors together, and if I can do it, anyone can. :grin: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back