DIY in the early 70's ..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoosound

A friend who's used the be an EMI producer/engineer in the 60's and 70's  found this somewhere in a locker in his old studio .
DIY limiter from the early 70's, it hasn't been used over 20 years or more, cleaned it a little bit and works as a charm.
Totaly weird but tasty compression, really squashes the drum-buss in a way i never heard before.
Tried to make a pic from the inside but thats kinda hard.
Don't really know what kind of limiter this is hardwired and its full of transistors..

I have pic of his handbuild mixing-desk and handbuild 16 track 2INCH tape machine too.
in this desk is a stereo DIY vari-mu !

Limiter.jpg

Limiterinside1.jpg

Very cool find.  Thanks for posting.

That 16-track looks like exactly what I've kind of DIY-daydreamed for over the years in terms of relative compactness.  Awesome.  Does it work?

lassoharp said:
Very cool find.  Thanks for posting.

That 16-track looks like exactly what I've kind of DIY-daydreamed for over the years in terms of relative compactness.  Awesome.  Does it work?

It's based on a Telefunken T-9 mechanics, rest is selfmade.
Don't know if it still works..its been standing there for more than 20 years without use.
It has been used on many recordings in the past.

Now that is what i call DIY.... I like it... Have you heard the desk? if so how would you describe the sonics of it... Tape machine is way cool. I've always wanted to have a compact machine like that. makes it more portable...

okgb said:
maybe germanium transisters looks like
No, I think they are silicon. The one on the left appears to be a BC150, which my 1970 Mullard Data book says is comparable to a BC109.

This is sweet!
Maybe you can just dust the studio off and record bands seeking the genuine sound?
:eek:

pucho812 said:
Now that is what i call DIY.... I like it... Have you heard the desk? if so how would you describe the sonics of it... Tape machine is way cool. I've always wanted to have a compact machine like that. makes it more portable...

I heard many recordings from this place, amazing sound.
The desk has got a great EQ with variable Q.
There are also 2 DIY EMT plate reverb clones in another room !
Some DIY tube-condenser mics, etc.

The owner had more than 20 top 10 hitsingles in the 60's and 70's most of those were recorded at EMI studio's in Europe.

I asked many times over the last 2 years to clean it up and get it going but no..

lassoharp said:
I asked many times over the last 2 years to clean it up and get it going but no..

Any idea why he is reluctant?   

He worked as engineer and later as producer for most of his life and retired years ago and has serious illness.
Most of the studio is still like he left it behind years ago, except for the Telefunken U-47 and Fairchild that he sold 10 years ago.

He also has tons of schematics and stuff, the desk is full of nice mic-pre-amps with transformers !

Back