Collective Cases - PSU cases, ez1073, CLX cases and PCB's.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacemaker, I am currently waiting on the silk screener to finish the face plates.  He has a large number of face plates from me so I can't wait for them to get done.  Hopefully no more then another week or so.  It depends on the runs in front of me.  He usually does really large product runs.

I do have chassis finished and everything is back from powder coat so we are in the final stages of this batch!

Thanks

pretty cool !
so we can expect a delivery at the end of april!
plenty of time to start populating the PCBs,
many thanks ,
Francois

MicDaddy, what trim pot will you be using?  Basically I need to know the hole size?

To me it makes sense to have a trim pot as well.

.... from other thread .... "..Dan others have omitted the trim-pot from their builds and Perusha is the only chassis I can find currently to support the trim.

Trim-pot is a must for the pres I'm building FWIW"

this is the trimmer SR1200 used  http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=51AAD-B28-D15L-ND&x=15&y=15

Although I'd be game for a sonically equal yet less expensive alternative, perhaps let some others chime in and go from there. 

I've let Dan know what I'd like on this case but I figure I'd post it here and see what everyone thinks

Front panel holes for:
48v
(and a hole for an LED for when 48v is engaged)
pad
phase
A hole for trim is cool with me as well but I don't require it

Other than that I'm easy, any color panel is fine with me.

As for the back of the case I'd like 5 XLR holes and that is all.  (4 for io and one for external power)

Color makes no difference to me, I'd be open to any color/pad print.  Other than that 5 XLR on the back for I/O & power as Nelly laid out, looks good.

Have it say 1290, not 1073?

Any thoughts on a 4x Chassis similar to some in the EZ1290 thread? 

Perusha already has the 2x and it just seems a waste for anyone building more than 2x pres..

Rack real estate is hard to come by over here.

MicDaddy said:
Color makes no difference to me, I'd be open to any color/pad print.  Other than that 5 XLR on the back for I/O & power as Nelly laid out, looks good.

Have it say 1290, not 1073?

Any thoughts on a 4x Chassis similar to some in the EZ1290 thread? 

Perusha already has the 2x and it just seems a waste for anyone building more than 2x pres..

Rack real estate is hard to come by over here.

I'm totally with Ben on this one... I'd love a 4 channel 2u for the EZ1290. When it comes to pre amps, the more the merrier. Also, a case perfectly fits 4.

neve-mockup-2u.jpg

Something like this one would be amazing for me...

since I don't have any of these boards I need to know how much room from the center of the Gain pot to the edge of the board.  That way I can see how to center them.

Hey Dan not sure if this helps, but here goes.  The switch looks centered on the end to the right of the photo, but I didn't measure with calipers so don't quote me on that just yet.

I'm thinking if the gain switches are lined up similar to those photos should be ok, somebody verify please.

Attachments

• EZ 1290scale.jpg
    EZ 1290scale.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 79
I like the 1290 cases in the pic above and would be looking to buy two if I can scrape up some more cash.  My preference would be the one with the pad, phantom, and phase switches below the gain knob.  I worked with a Pre one that had the switches on top and I accidentally hit the pad during gain adjustment.  No big deal during mic check, but they seem more out of the way below the gain to me.

On a side note for Dan, is it possible to get custom silkscreen and paint colors on your panels? 

I'm just starting my DIY gear and I'm thinking of coloring all of the comps a dark maroon, the pre's the dark n*ve  blue, and the eq's a dark olive green.  The graphics and knobs would all vary from piece to piece.  What do you all think?
Thanks,
Rob

i can do custom screens and paint but its not cheap.  it would be easily another 200 per design because I get charged 100 for a paint change and 100 for new screens.  And that doesn't include design and layout time.  So if you did more then one case it may be worth it because that gets offset by quantity. PM me if you have any more specifics.

well from the looks of the boards you will need 6 inches side to side.  So it doesn't look like any of the 4 channel layouts will work unless you use leads to wire the gain switch.  I'm guessing that is not acceptable.  I might be able to stager them?  So channel one is lower and channel 2 is higher, channel 3 is lower and channel 4 is higher.  Make sense.  If that is cool I could give it a shot but I'm not 100% how you guys will mount the boards to the chassis and what height the Standoff's will need to be.

I think someone who has the boards and parts should maybe PM so I can get some more details to try and work this out for you guys.

The front of the boards look likey the are  3.75"  So 4 boards would only take up 15" across the front so there would be no need to wire the switches with leads and all 4 boards can be level. The boards are just over 6" but thats from front to back.

-Neil

Good eye, I was thinking it was 4.75.

let me dig into this more and see if I can get them to work.  It means I have roughly 2" from the inside of each case.  So let me tweak it a little.

hey Dan,
Thanks for the info.  That will probably lead me to go with the stock cases.  I'm not doing too much gear, and i don't think it makes sense right now.  thanks for the quick reply!
Rob

What about for us poor folks who only want 2 channels of 1290 with pad, +48, phase, and trim pot? In a 1RU? :'(

I would also be interested in a 4x EZ1290 if it looks like it's a possibility.  I would especially be interested if the holes for the switches were drilled so that they would be compatible with the JLM Go Between which seem to be a popular pairing with the EZ1290 boards. 

blunderfonics said:
I would also be interested in a 4x EZ1290 if it looks like it's a possibility.  I would especially be interested if the holes for the switches were drilled so that they would be compatible with the JLM Go Between which seem to be a popular pairing with the EZ1290 boards. 

Amen! JLM Gobetween all the way!
and an LED for the 48v (IMO)

Back