sickening console upgrade (caution)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you better damn well take some pix or make up some pix or something or be forever banned from this place

:twisted:

thats just too cool to not take a pic...

:green:

i was repairing an old electric stove from the 70's once and found a mummified rat who had chewed into the 220 line and obviously was shocked to death and dried when the owner used it. :green:

That's all pretty gross. But I bought an early eighties Carvin 100 watt head from Guitar Center. I took off the back panel to re-tube, and found a roach! It was all old and dried out. Dusty.

Well, I couldn't help myself and I smoked it. :green:

I never take stuff in my house that is not mine before checking it out outside.

I often wear gloves and an a mask when opening things up like old guitar or bass amps. Some amps I bought I hosed off in the driveway after spraying it with bug spray washing in with HOT water and dish soap and then drying it with fans. It helps to do this on a hot summer day. The suns UV helps kill stuff.

It is a good Idea to use a mask and gloves working around dead stuff and dropping some droppings can carry nasty stuff that can become airborn. Better to be safe and who care what others think about gloves and masks.

i lived in a 6 bedroom house on campus a couple of years ago.......

our kitchen start to smell like shit, and we traced it down to the stove.....

unscrewed the back panel dug out the insulation, and found a huge dead rat pasted to the metal back.........
it was like his feet melted there, and it took quite a bit of scraping to get him off.

needless to say, i never ate in that kitchen again, and we moved out that year.

also in the same house, my roommate put his hand down between the couch pads to get his dropped lighter and he pulled up a dead mouse (a little one)..........freaked us all out.

Ryan

If you develop any respiratory symptoms in the near future, see a doctor immediately. Rodent excreta and droppings, if inhaled, can cause a sometime deadly respiratory condition called hantavirus.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/

Holy crap Buttachunk! That's disgusting.

Seriously, if anything weird starts in with your breathing, go to the doctor. My father just got over some intense respitory illness that could have easily killed him if he had waited a couple more days before checking in.

-neil

Coincidence: my dad just got out of the hospital, too, for respiratory problems. Turns out he's got emphysema and pneumonia in both lungs. I don't think any mice are to blame, though; he's been smoking for 45 years.

Thank God for nagging mothers--he didn't want to go to the hospital even though his lips were turning purple and he was gasping for air! Mom said, in effect, "Get your ass in this car or I'm gonna call an ambulance and have them come and get you." :thumb:

Call a doctor and find out what to look for. It's very likely you have nothing to worry about, and a considered professional opinion might at least help you from worrying about the wrong things.

-neil

there was white gunk in one of the faders in my console when I took them apart to clean them. I had a good chuckle at that.

dave

I had a live bunch of those fellas squatting in one of my bass subs
stored in my garage . i didnt have the heart to kill em so I got a shovel and put them In a small box off to the side (keeping their shredded home intact ) . I returned and hour latter and they were gone . I wouldnt worry too much about the air born virus , unless you had a nice big hit of a dust cloud . at any rate anyone know where I can get a side car?
I need a small disreet mixer ! Ill even take one with mice :?

> there was a massive melon-sized ball of what appeared to be shredded paper and cloth. ............ two dead petrified fetal mice were stuck to the bottom of the frame !!!

Ya know: these boards didn't have "Vintage Sound", or any "sound", back in 1958 when they were new.

Part of "Vintage Sound" is the dust of ages, including the beasties who have lived and died in there.

Put it back. That's part of the "sound". Sure you may catch Bubonic Plague and die, but isn't your Art worth it?

> found a roach! It was all old and dried out

One roach? Little stinking deal. I got a great price on a good tape deck, and when I opened it up I discovered it had been both home and potty-room for dozens of cockroaches for many years. Many of them still around, though quite dead because the previous owner had soaked the insides with RAID.

I vacuumed and rinsed it with freon (bye-bye ozone layer). Believe it or not, that deck is still in service.

> my brother is in med school, ... he'll be here in 3 a few days,, will talk to him about it.

Seriously: don't wait. While the odds of serious infection are very low, some of those hanta viruses are pretty quick, and your local doctors may not think of hanta if you come into the emergency room Sunday night purple and choking. If you can't reach a regular doc or your bro, call a hospital or a poison control center and ask about the hazards of cleaning mouse droppings and handling mouse corpses.

I've heard stories about finding live roaches inside computers. The worst repair infestation I've seen was chewed wires and dried mouse piss. Mouse piss seems to dissolve component leads!

Worst mouse story was a stove story in a rental house, though. Couldn't use the oven, it made the whole house smell like mouse piss when it got hot. I finally took the top off (gas stove) and cleaned up all the droppings and dried piss. No help. Finally I took off the side panels... and the fiberglass insulation looked exactly like one of those ant farm toys. I had to replace all the insulation.

I do have a photo, but it's currently far away and not in digital form. But if somebody bumps this thread up in March, I promise I'll scan it in and post it.

all this fuss over some dead mice lol?? are these deadly 10 foot bastid rodents or has Bush put the shitters up ya with the 'fear' of virus spreading mice now or wha?

Scoop it up and be done with! :green:

I heard this story about this large outdoor venue that due to rainy weather hadn't had any shows in a few weeks. The next concert scheduled, once the weather had cleared, was Tone Loc. A few days after the concert the venue workers noticed a stench by the stage. It ends up that during the rain a family of rodents decided the sub woofer ports would make a nice nest.

Back