Shinny box 23L, no high end

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmuu102

Hi all:

I have a Shinny Box 23L ribbon mic, with a Lundahl transformer.  It has MUCH MUCH less high end than basically any of my condenser mics.  Am I missing something here, or does this seem like its not functioning properly.  It looks  brand new.  no apparent damage. passes signal fine, just  a huge roll off on the high end.

This is a well known attribute of ribbon mics, especially when compared to condensors... Having said that, it depends how much HF you'r missing!

Mo

Ribbons should feel more 'natural' and less hyped at the top end than your condenser mics - that's why we love them.

The output level (volts) may well be lower too, but the detail should be there if you listen - you may need boost the top end or cut the bottom end. It should sound good but 'darker'.

If the ribbon is damaged or stretched you will probably hear some horrid artefacts as the ribbon clatters against the motor assembly.

shmuu102 said:
Hi all:

I have a Shinny Box 23L ribbon mic, with a Lundahl transformer.  It has MUCH MUCH less high end than basically any of my condenser mics.  Am I missing something here, or does this seem like its not functioning properly.   It looks  brand new.  no apparent damage. passes signal fine, just  a huge roll off on the high end.

simply out of interest, what type of Lundahl transfo is in there ?

Borrow a known good one to compare against , whatever you can manage
it is a streched ribbon symtom to become more dull also with less output
has it always been this way ? have you exposed it to low of low end level ?
[ maybe even just talking into it ]
Ribbons do start rolling off around 10k finishing around 15k
try it will gtr or something that you don't want the high end on and
see if it's noisy [ needing extra gain ] on even loud sources

Back