MXL 990 Capsule reassemble Help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaten

Hey guys this is my first post and as the subject states, I need a little walk through tutorial for putting this puppy back together correctly.  I've looked everywhere for this procedure and obviously can't find what I need, so here I am.  It all started with just the plan of removing the 2 inner screens.  So I A & B'd the results and was quite pleased. But I wanted more . . . so I went a little bananas on the the capsule housing (removing material, so the capsule wasn't so far back) and by doing this I had to disassemble it.  Tip: don't do this at 230 am when your tired cause I gave my memory more credit than it's worth.  Well my rusty lock-box of a brain got me pretty good cause now the mic sounds freakin horrible.  The description would be; very boxy, dark, underwater-sounding . . . just plain shitty.  Yeah so bare with me for a sec and here's how I put it back together;

1. Ok the address-side of the housing is face down on my work bench 
2. Now stacking upwards, I placed the beveled edge of the diaphragm face down in the housing
3. I then gently stacked the 3 white plastic shims on the diaphragm "flat side of it obviously"
4. I placed the flat, non-chambered part face down on the 3 shims
5. I then placed 2 copper shims/washers on the top of the chambered part
6. Then I placed the clear plastic do-dad on the copper shims/washers
7. threaded the ring into the housing
8. Then inserted the brass screw knob thing through the red lead wire, into the plastic part
9. reassembled it all back together and now I have a turd-sounding paper weight.

Please say I F'd-up and did it wrong.  Unfortunately I have some really fun stuff coming from mouser tomorrow to put into my now defunct mic. C3.C4.C13 poly caps . . . Geez, FML.

Hope I was clear with all my technical jargon.

Slaten   

Back