2520 follower - unity gain stable?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomWaterman

Hi sorry to post such a trivial question but have tried searching, no time to lash one on the bench to see.

Is the API2520 unity gain stable in follower config? Want to use one at the input of a compressor circuit.

If not, will external compensation sort it out? Like an Rf and cap in parallel?

Cheers Tom

> API2520 unity gain stable in follower config?

Probably not. Amplifiers are (were) EXPENSIVE!! Why would you use one and not take gain?

> Want to use one at the input of a compressor circuit.

Wire it for 1:10 gain and put 10:1 passive divider in front.

Good points, I think I can go with the 5087/5088 buffer circuit similar to the 550A one...

Perhaps I can run it at some gain and use a step down input transformer... although I already have a 1:1 for here.

Cheers Tom

> use a step down input transformer

Transformer has limited frequency response (200Hz-10KHz = $3, 10Hz-100KHz = $$$) and will not have more than medium-high input impedance.

50K to 5K divider right at the opamp pin is 50K in and flat from DC to 1MHz. 500K:50K will be flat from zero to 100KHz. Costs $0.24.

Transformer adds galvanic isolation.... but that need had not been mentioned. If buffer and compressor are used-together, should not be needed?

There are of course many ways to skin cats. Or fish: a Sushi Artist twirls foot-long $300 blades to trim shrimp, but for the customers' entertainment not because it works better than a well-sharpened dollar paring knife.

Back