Portable powered speaker system

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

I need a set of very small powered speakers to work on when travelling.

Anyone do this / have recommendations ? ( good but not that I have to mix on or anything )

Thinking possibly about Genelec 6010A's or something similar, these are quite expensive.

Must fit either in rucksack or suitcase and not be too large / heavy

Thanks,
MM.

Hi Marty,

i just use some Computer speakers. They are far from hi-fidelity, but cost a fiver, and it doesnt matter if they get trashed. They are also plastic, and very lightweight. loud enough to hear what Im doing, and not loud enough to disturb the nieghbours in a hotel room. Use some Headphones for reference.(grado rs-1 . . . . only kidding! I have a pair of the gr120s, and they are amazing). Those mini Genelecs are fine, but apt to clang together in your rucksack. Ive seen a pair utterly destroyed by the baggage handlers.

My freind had a pair of Bose portable speakers, and they sounded incredible, especially since they were so tiny. I cant remember the model, and they are discontinued. If I can raise him(touring!), Ill get the model number for you.

ANdyP

I LOVE the little Fostex 6301 speakers!

They sound very good for their size and can really take road abuse. Balanced and unbalanced inputs, very versatile.

6M4S6iI5njcKCcgAlS8qNJRv5TD2wi7iF8Ar9XXoJtFGq01PlMFV8Dmj9hXjpEjiwQPUhlEYVgDDzm1CLY4QrrnXMjeRk1k9L8uCKB5-6T_scijHjsq2Xvk_AklUZGPbrNssmYl6R6uCy85P9f_9vV7ZtJO5_CvSBHMe0AWEGyIzgCeUy6pPVKhJzLOoNkpqKlLZ

Thanks Andy,
Will go listen to a few things, I have small cheap PC spkrs but they are total rot !
If I can keep them in my hand baggage then they will survive :)

MM.

strangeandbouncy said:
fwiw,

i think the previous generation 1029 is much better than the new one . . .

That's funny, I've been using 2029's (same but with digital input) and the large matching sub for the last 8 years !!
I love them and I'm totally used to how they sound, along with some very nice Mission M73's and some JBL Control 1's
that's my current setup.
All too large for a travel system.
I've ordered some Bose computer monitors to try - I have 30 days if they are not up to it but I've heard some
good things about them and they are small and tough.
M

riggler said:
I LOVE the little Fostex 6301 speakers!

They sound very good for their size and can really take road abuse. Balanced and unbalanced inputs, very versatile.

6M4S6iI5njcKCcgAlS8qNJRv5TD2wi7iF8Ar9XXoJtFGq01PlMFV8Dmj9hXjpEjiwQPUhlEYVgDDzm1CLY4QrrnXMjeRk1k9L8uCKB5-6T_scijHjsq2Xvk_AklUZGPbrNssmYl6R6uCy85P9f_9vV7ZtJO5_CvSBHMe0AWEGyIzgCeUy6pPVKhJzLOoNkpqKlLZ

I used to have a pair and sold them a few years ago !
Bummer, but they are WAY too big and heavy for a shoulder bag :)
M

Got the Bose "computer monitors" this morning in the post.

Well apart from having not much going on below 70 Hz ( well some but a bit smeared at best )
they are damm fine sounding baby monitors !!
For the size ( about the same as a coffee cup ) they are truly amazing and very detailed.

I checked some mix's that i know well and also some great tracks from Shawn Colvin and Steely Dan
and the depth of field and detail is spot on, perhaps just a touch bright but otherwise V cool :)
These are NOT cheap but also not too hyped or scooped either .... happy bunny so far.
MM.

Rochey said:
I have the paerfect small amp and crossover IC for this kind of app.

Marty, how big are the speakers in the bose system? 2"?

Can't be more than 2&1/2 or 3 inch, they have a pair of opposing spkrs for the low end and some
clever digital trickery combined with ported sides.
Bloody amazing considering the size.
M
What ya got going on ??

Latest posts

Back