cheapo neutrik patch leads, any good ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I'm just changing my system from B gauge (long frame) to TT bantam.  I'm looking around trying to get some some patchleads to get me up & running without spending an arm & a leg.

I noticed the budget range of Neutrik leads with moulded plugs which are unbelievably cheap at 1ft 0.81UK ex vat, 2ft 0.96UK ex vat.

My question is does any one use them, & are they reliable ?  I know these are really cheap, but cheap rubbish is still ..... rubbish, & I want leads that aren't going to be a pita.

[edit]

nevermind, I just noticed you were asking about TT-bantam.

The below is about the equivalent b-gauge molded plug:

I'm having problems with them. Especially with the very short ones. They are very sensitive to bending. I'm using them with "canford" type B-gauge patchbays which should be high quality, and I have the odd connection problem here and there. I've basically thrown all the very short ones away, don't wanna end up with a bad connection in the middle of a patching session, but still there's a problem occasionally. The issue is exactly the mold of the plug, the weight of the cable alone can pull/bend the mold to certain direction and it stays that way, slightly bent. After a time the plug will develop a failing connection. Most of the very short ones seem to be this way off the shelf. Don't quite understand what's the point of manufacturing them if they fail that easily. Easily the worst neutrik/rean product.

I don't recommend them, but I have to use them myself because the second best option is nearly 10X the price.  :(

I would call them a pita, yes. It's too bad really, the cable is a star quad even, so there was a lot of promise there initially.

Rob

Can't recommend this guy enough.

Good deals on bays and cables.

He primary carries ADC brand which I've been using at my studio for 10 years without issue.

He also sells the TT ends if you want to make your own.

http://home.flash.net/~motodata/patchbays/cables.html

Mark

Kingston

Thanks for the low down, i reckon you just saved me some cash.

Mark I think I've seen that company recommended before, the product certianly looks good.  Obviously somewhat more expensive by the time they've crossed the Atlantic.

I suspect I can get Rean patchleads cheaper than I can import the adc leads.  Are Rean any good ?

pucho812 said:
I have had to fix more patchbay issues from patchbays that came from mr. patchbay then anywhere else.   but hey he is not making those tt - tt
cables....

The patchbay's I'm dealing with are built into the desk + a Mosses & Mitchell bay if I run out of space, so hopefully not an issue.

No issues here with the ADC bays I got from him, other than having to remove the old wires.

But I think he strips them clean now.

Curious, what issues you've encountered.

Mark

Biasrocks said:
No issues here with the ADC bays I got from him, other than having to remove the old wires.

But I think he strips them clean now.

Curious, what issues you've encountered.

Mark

A client of mine got some patch bays from him... the patch bays had shorts on various connections cause signals to unbalance. Not good for pro tools interfaces... there were enough at this place alone to question all the work. Secondly he sold said client on the idea of using 3 pin elcos.... 3 pin elcos are more pain then what they are worth.

o.k. the 3 pin elco is just me bitching as it was annoying. However the patch bays with shorts is unacceptable. I had to go back and fix several connections which as we all know is a Pain...

If you ask me, I would stick with b-gauge and just get more of those...

The ones at Canford? They aren't Neutrik, sadly.

MatthewF nought some, and they don't even have the same profile as proper Post Office ones. They will work though... Depends on what you want them for.

rodabod said:
The ones at Canford? They aren't Neutrik, sadly.

MatthewF nought some, and they don't even have the same profile as proper Post Office ones. They will work though... Depends on what you want them for.

Not from Canford.  I was looking at cpc, but I'm pretty sure they're the same leads, they're just less than 1/2 the price at cpc.

The Neutrik last OK, but my complaints are that they are not comfortable to use- the metal back has a horrible feel to me, and with heavier use they break.  The connector is stamped on and cannot be repaired.  The Mogami were good but now they are made with a thinner metal sleeve now that is bending and breaking with medium use.
For medium to light use I would recommend the Neutrik.
For full commercial use I only recommend ADC.  They are absolute tanks.  You get what you pay for.
And I am talking nickel plated.  There are no interns anymore to clean the brass- they are all engineering!
Mike

Mike thanks for that.  I think you're talking about the decent Neutrik leads

The Neutrik leads I'm talking about & that people are saying are rubbish are at the bottom of this page.  They have moulded plugs

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=411&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=bantam+patch&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&suggestions=false&ref=globalsearch&_requestid=1615754&isGoback=false&displaytext=&isRedirect=false

The Neutrik patch cables we bought (metal tops) are crap.  I've got a drawer full of bad ones, some, even with the wire pulled out.  We bought a bunch of Mogami cords a while ago, and have been VERY happy with them.
I bought some of the molded ones (TT) from the guy on eBay, and have been happy so far.  I did get a couple of bad ones, but he replaced them, no problem.
My $0.02.
Best,
Bruno2000

Rob Flinn said:
Bruno are the moulded ebay ones the brown cables that have gold plated plugs, which you get 24 for $124.95 ?

Yes sir, those are the ones, except that I bought the multicolored bundles.  24 of the 12", and 48 of the 18".
Best,
Bruno2000

Latest posts

Back