First year student LA2A advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sredna said:
college101 said:
Anbody care to add to this thread? Read my first post and answer!

Reed_warbler_cuckoo.jpg

;D ;D ;D  good one!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 7
Just build it and everyone will help you here. If ya have any trouble just post back. There are crazies such as CJ but he is just crazy cause I went thru his 101 electronics seminar and won't give me a transformer 101. Bastard! ;) LOL

Lovable guy otherwise. It is the best sounding compressor ever. But like I said needs to be used in the right hands.

John

I think every answer you seek is in the 120+ page thread.  We all read it, you should too.  You seem to be asking for an encyclopedia, and it's already there. 

"cork-snooters"

:D

>To be frank, when some people answer, I start to wonder if they really do know what they are talking about,
>or if they have even worked with electronics because they are saying things, and then not backing it up..

Sounds like a predictable first year student attitude...  Good luck with that.

Yeah,,Ive been reading it over the last week or so...I get parts of my answers figured out, and then Im left wondering...Yes I am a first year student...but that is how it goes...Ill shut up and stop complaining...Im gonna do my time...Just wish it made sense...I showed my teacher a compressor schematic, not the la2a's but some dbx schematic, and he was like...ummh what is this supposed to do...AND then I was like...great...im gonna have a hard time with this teacher...

I am ordering parts today...

PRR said:
> when some people answer, I start to wonder if they really do know what they are talking about, or if they have even worked with electronics

OK, I'll shut-up.

...((SO, if you want to help, then HELP, but dont be a jerk to me, or start talking about something else other then what Im asking about...)) Im here to learn, not to be discouraged or put down by people that are not explaining themselves..  To be frank, when some people answer, I start to wonder if they really do know what they are talking about, or if they have even worked with electronics because they are saying things, and then not backing it up..

Sad,

Some people can't help but shoot themselves in the foot before even getting started.

Mark

Yeah , every so often i get that one [the lesson ]
you learn by listening not talking
then with some accumlated knowledge , you will
have more intelligent questions to ask
[ which may not have been answered before ]

My early days of parts buying .........no idea
of what i wanted or needed
[ i got allot of parts i couldn't use ! ]

Stuffy instructor , no surprize but, to be fair you can't just hit someone
and expect them to be up to speed [ again  , better questions ]

college101 said:
Yeah,,Ive been reading it over the last week or so...I get parts of my answers figured out, and then Im left wondering...Yes I am a first year student...but that is how it goes...Ill shut up and stop complaining...Im gonna do my time...Just wish it made sense...I showed my teacher a compressor schematic, not the la2a's but some dbx schematic, and he was like...ummh what is this supposed to do...AND then I was like...great...im gonna have a hard time with this teacher...

I am ordering parts today...

Keep reading. Something on page 85 will spark an answer to something you didn't pick up on page 46. Cj is your zen master and spirit guide (welcome back, by the way).

Don't rush it. If you really want to learn: Read everything you can... Be respectful... Ask questions...

The last thing I will say is be safe. Keep your hands out when it's plugged in. If you use the chopstick trick, keep one hand in your pocket. Discharge those caps. Use common sense x 10.

This has been my favorite project to date. I hope you have as much fun as I did.

don't stress the holidays guys, just sit back and have a fat tire or smoke a joint and be mellow,

people want real people to answer, so metas and stuff are sometimes like leading a horse to water, get me?

this forum is for helping people, we can get funky with some jokes at times,

one rule i try to follow is never mention anybodys name, if you abide by that simple rule, you will never have a bad time with somebody on the net,

as soon as you single somebody out, then they get defensive, because they think the whole world is watching, which is not real true, you can see the stats in the menu bar, 36 registered, 44 lurkers , 87 wankers, or whatever, so no huge audince, sometimes regulars gang uyp on the new guys if they do not become pshycic and act exactly the way we want them to, so we "groove" them into conformity with a little "guidance" in the form of a verbal jab ot two,

am i rambling?

hey, maggot brain is like 10 minutes long, so wtf, over?

what was the question?

oh, and not too much fat tyre ale, we don't want it like this>

21j14e9.jpg

we party like it's 2011, check out ssl keef in bristol:

357ja7k.jpg

CJ, that was a really thoughtful response!
I need to mention your name to pay you the compliment..
you really presented both sides of this common situation.

As a regular wanker to this thread I'm at the stage where I've built one thing from scratch and accumulated..12 or 13 other projects to work on.
The thing I did built is the LA2x. I use it everytime I record. It's a mess inside but it's like I ran a marathon or something. I showed it to everyone who walked in the house for a while. I haven't posted pictures here but I will today!

there is so much documentation on this board. if you search you will find everything or a link to everything you need to know. And if you still have a question that hasn't been answered you'll find that the most knowledgeable people on this board are also accommodating and generous with their time.
good luck.

O.k. clearly , we need a " Best Beer " thread
And i will name , names , Stir Stick Stout
- Dark Beer's Best -
remember that and don't drink & drive

PRR said:
> when some people answer, I start to wonder if they really do know what they are talking about, or if they have even worked with electronics

OK, I'll shut-up.

mE tOO.. ;D ;D

random thoughts, i have my power supply apart from  the la2a, the thing is so high gain in stock mode, hum can be a problem, you might consider dc for the heaters,

i found the best way to use dc for the heaters, throw away all regulator, there is too much inrush current when you flip the switch, until the tubes get hot that is,

sometimes the regs shut down, sometimes not, sometimes they work for a while and pop, sometimes they work forever,

so to take out all the "sometimes", try sizing a 6.3 transformer to a current value very close to what your la2 draws, then use a big 100 amp bridge diode, the kind with the big al back that you can bolt to the chassis with white grease, then you strap some bigass C across the whole Sh*tload, and then you measure the voltage with no regulator in between the rectified dc and the tubes,

the dcr from the xfmr sec (is that too many abrev's in a row?  :D ) will limit the current to a value very close to what you need,

then, hopefully your voltage is 6.3 or better, if you hit it perfect you are a lucky dog, you could play with taking out caps or putting in more caps top raise or lower the voltage a bit,

what i did was wind a small choke, first you just grab some copper wire big enuff to handle the heater current, then you spool it up on a bobbin til you get the dcr that matches the voltage reduction, in essence, we are making a power resistor out of a chunk of copper wire,

now, if you have no E-I core to slip the bobbin over, no big deal, simply mout the sob inside the chassis and solder the wires to the bridge and load, you now have an air core inductor with about 200 turns, .0000003 micr henries, perfect!

just kidding, i used an 625 EI and only got about a reduction of ripple from

220 mv to 120 mv, almost jahlf, but 200 mv is very good anyway, much better than 6,300 millivolts get me?

once you get your copper wire power resistor built, you have a practically indistructable and highly dependable system which means it will last until we are in north korea or iran, wtf, over?

CJ said:
hey, maggot brain is like 10 minutes long, so wtf, over?

what was the question?

right.  you hit the important point there.  but when do we get to hear the drum track, or did they forget to record it?

CJ is so right. I am a bare amateur but I did learn on another tube project that I can catch 4 diodes on fire (My long lost rectifier) before the tubes heat up. Overkill is your friend. And always use 2 meters on a tube project. One connected to the High voltage caps always! And the other for testing.

OMG lol those pics...

John

Latest posts

Back