This is highly inappropriate but I have to ask...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecedarian

I haven't been here in a very long time.  I used to peruse this forum everyday starting back when the G1176 was first started - before I started the "repost" thread on the new location/server. (Remember when we were kicked off that other one?!). Maybe some of the old timers here remember me.  It's hard to believe this is going back 8 years ago.  Anyway, I am getting to a point.  I built two G1176 compressors - well, kind of.  I finished one and it sounded great! I choose the input and output transformers option using Lundahls. Notice the word "sounded" , used two sentences back.  I took it to a studio and the sun baked to top lid while in the car and heat transfer did the rest.  It passes signal but very low. The other I started and never finished.  I also bought two Neve 1081 projects with those really expensive Elgar? Potentiometers.  I was doing pretty well with DIY considering I started from nothing.  I didn't know what a resistor was but I went along a learned alot thanks to all the great people here.  Mr. G himself mentioned my attempt to help people build thie G1776  http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/1176/1176.htm

Ok, here I am years later.  I still love DIY and wish I had time to do this again but I just can't make the time.  I have a daughter now 7 and my work load is 4 times what it used to be.  I would love to do something with at least these two compressors which are sitting in a storage unit which, by the way, must be evacuated soon.  So here goes the unthinkable question which is completely gainst the DIY spirit.  Does anyone want to fix the one compressor and finish the other one?  ::) :(  Ofcourse  for pay.  Thanks for reading, high everyone, good to see its going strong. 

Normally people are encouraged to d.i.y. & learn
but i can apprciate family life & being busy
and it's not like you're asking someone to build it
themselves for cheap .
There's likely a greater knowledge base with more successful
builds than when you left so , state the symtoms in the lab
for some idea's and post in the Black market for someone
to look at it , best wishes on that & for the holiday season

For the one that's broken, I'd imagine it's a fairly straight forward fix...

Do you have a little diy audio scope?  Or a multimeter that measures low voltage AC?  Just run along the circuit from input to output, until you find where the audio gets quiet.  Then replace that transistor etc... 

Are you sure it's heat that's done it?  Maybe if the car was bumpy.. a bipolar transitor/FET came out of a socket slightly?

Latest posts

Back