Questions about ZT-2 hot air pencil

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

I'm slowly building my arsenal of SMT tools, my latest toy is a USED Zephyrtronics ZT-2 hot air pencil.
Since this is used, I have no way to compare it's operation to a properly working ZT-2.

I have a question to anyone that has used a ZT-2 hot air pencil.
Do you find the ZT-2 blow less air (and not as forceful) than other typical hot-air systems?

Also, the max hot air tip temperature I can measure on the ZT-2 is average of 320C, max of 350C. It doesn't seem to go as hot as my other hot-air soldering system - which can reach 380C easily, and 420C+ max

5225167501_64ddfa2e9d_b.jpg

What kind of pump does the ZT2 use?

I ask, because I had a similar experience with an old PACE desoldering station which didn't 'suck' half much as my cheapo Xytronic...
The problem was in the membrane pump. With use and age, the membrane becomes porous or even damaged, and the pump loose efficiency...

Axel

I opened the case and no "brand" or marking on the pump... could be proprietary.
On their website, they say the pump doesn't blow air forcefully that could blow small SMD components away. (which is true)... but I wonder if it's too weak.

Latest posts

Back