Maselec MLA2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickos

Hi All!
I've used the MLA2 for a while and very like it!
Anyone has some info about the design of this compressor?

Thanks,
Nickos

It is an opto design. Short of reverse engineering it you will find no information. Leif is very protective of schematics. You won't see them.

Thank you for the reply

I'm not looking for the schematics...
I will find more interesting to know a little more about it.

So it's an Opto with no VCA... any other info?
The name MLA2 as something to do with the LA2A (maybe a solid-state version?) or it's just for something like "maselec limiting amplifier 2"?  :p

Probably item B
The designer ia Leif Mases. He is Swedish and lives in England. He used to work in Sweden and was the chief tecchy for Polar Music, Abba's studio in Stockholm. He has good pair of ears and you'll have a hard time proving him wrong. He knows what he's doing!
As for his gear, it's expensive for a reason. You get what you pay for.
PC

You're probably right.
Maselec stuff are not so expensive compared to quality they provide.  ;)

Any ideas on design?

Thank you

If you look inside it's all non exotic parts. I forget what the opto is but it's not a vactrol or silonex. That's the only odd part. It's standard parts carefully designed. Nothing flashy, just solid engineering. I think he spends a lot of time on the side chain designs for his dynamics processors. They always seem to do what they should.

yes - but most often on the side of the "transparent" type of compression, not easily used for "effect"-type sound. Channel dynamics in our Calrec UA-8000 was said to be designed by mr. Mases, and works extremely well - but you can't use it to smash something up...

Jakob E.

Yes, transparent indeed. It seems only mastering engineers like the stuff. And half of the ME's don't like it. I've never met a tracking or mixing engineer who uses Maselec. Maybe classical engineers?

Latest posts

Back