SPAM Attacks???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really bad today. Looks like something is getting past the forum filters. Hopefully the next round of updates will keep em out.

Keep reporting them to the mods!

At the end of the Discussion Forums there's a 'who's online' list... Mods are highlighted on this list. No mods are here as for now.
I mean, if everyone keeps reporting spamers to the mods until spams disapear, then poor mods will get WAY too many spam in their inbox!
Unless reports goes into their PM box and those are capacity limited like ours...

Axel

mad.ax said:
I mean, if everyone keeps reporting spamers to the mods until spams disapear, then poor mods will get WAY too many spam in their inbox!

It's a good point Axel. Last time we had lots of spam I recall one of the moderators asking us to report it with the "report this post' function, so I always report spam now when I see it.

So to report or to ignore? Maybe the moderators can clarify.

Here's an idea, but I don't know if Ethan could implement that:
As soon as someone use the 'report to moderators' button, a flag appears beside the reported thread.
We can all see this flag, and then know it's no use to report again...

Axel

mad.ax said:
At the end of the Discussion Forums there's a 'who's online' list... Mods are highlighted on this list. No mods are here as for now.
Unless reports goes into their PM box and those are capacity limited like ours...

Axel
Spam reports come to email, so there is no limit to how many reports we can get.  :D

I still can't figure who actually buys crap from spammers?  

Somebody must, or they would stop doing it.

JR

BTW, please don't reply to spam.. it just makes it harder to clean up...

I still can't figure who actually buys crap from spammers?

Dunno either, unless it's Ptownkid!

I thought a lot of spam is to boost ratings for search engines? Also the linked sites have malware or are phishing for something.

OK, again guys.. please don't post under the the spam...  it makes it more work for the mods to remove... I know I have better things to do with my time than removing posts complaining about spam, that actually become like the spam...

JR

Maybe mods (Ethan?) can make it a little harder for random people to register on the forum?
Probably, some tougher questions instead of a simple caption?
There's this russian electronics forum where you have to answer a simple ohm's law question to register.
Like, you have this voltage coming to this resistor, etc, enter the answer...
::)

Sorry.  I haven't been in the best of health lately, so I haven't had a lot of time to look into this.

Unfortunately, spambots don't register like regular members.  They use scripts to sometimes bypass certain parts of the registration process.
I've increased the account creation requirements so let's see if that slows them down.

Thank you Moderators for help with clean up!

So the necessity of upgrading the server made it faster and more suitable for the needs, and so the faster the spam gets in, am i thinking right? I mean don't remember such thing on the old version...
I've never dealed with a forum or server in my life so please don't take this as an offense, i'm just curious...

Latest posts

Back