Standalone Box for the three P's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikoKensington

I was thinking a rack mounted multi-channel, Pad, Phase and Phantom box would be a great little tool. Seeing as how a lot of old gems weren't manufactured with these utilities, this would be a great solution. Seems a shame when people retrofit and alter old specimens of recording gear.

Seems easy enough. Anyone want to chime in with Pad techniques, or any ideas?

Great topic!

My thoughts would be to add in Bo Hansen's active DI. Maybe have a send/return where the preamp routing would happen and put a variable attenuator on input and output?

That's definitely a good idea, especially if you need the functionality.

Back before I got heavily sidetracked into microphones, I was going to build a Hamptone J-FET preamp. I even bought most of the parts! But since I had some old DuKane transformers lying around, I was going to separate the input stuff (transformer, phantom, etc.) from the preamp so I could try different combination.

Damnit, I think with those trannys I've got all the parts. I really need to get back and work on that project. I even bought stuff to build LED meters.

Too many ideas to list here,
but generally

I make the mic based ones separate and non-racked. You can insert them where-ever you want.
The PAD may react differently on the various mic-pres.
You may also find you don't need many of these at the one time.

Same goes for line level but I do many dual or stereo units.

As for a racked unit linked through your patch panels ... great for transfers to and from PT to 2 inch and bypass the desk.
Use the desk for make-up when needed OR use a couple of stand alone line drivers.
Keep your trims on the front panel and load the rear with I/O.
You may fit it all in 1RU.

Also on the racked unit,
if you mount this in a mobile case you may find people want to hire it for the above work.
Being stand alone you can easily go total passive and transformer-less.
Take a few line drivers with you for gain make up when needed.

Latest posts

Back