How do you handle ICs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBVries

I know the warning that you shouldn't touch ICs directly as static can cause problems but I haven't yet found a method that works well beyond just picking the suckers up and placing them in their socket.

Is there a better way? I have not yet had any issues with picking up ICs and have worked with computers all my life and touching electronics seems to be terribly over warned against.

Do you just pick em up too or use some other method?

Cheers,
JB

I use an anti-static mat on my workbench, and a grounded wrist strap when handling ICs.  My soldering iron also has it's ground connection connected to the anti-static mat.

For DIY/hobbyist, static may not be a big deal.

But the unknown is (and a serious concern/consequence for manufacturers) is the lifespan of the IC/product may be shortened and have reliability issues down the road, when a few simple precautions could have prevented all those future problem.

As long as you do not wear leather soled shoes & rub them on the carpet to generate static electricity you should have no problems. If you are in a very cold climate w low humidity you will need to be a bit more cautious; mavbe anti stat mat & wrist band.

I have always handled them w no ill effects.

JohnRoberts said:
With tweezers and magnifying glasses.

I dropped one IC on the carpet and still haven't found it.

JR

I bet the day you walk across that carpet barefoot you will 'find' it  :p

As for ICs I thought only CMOS (logic) chips are super sensitive? The ones we tend to handle (op-amps, VCA's etc) are linear and as such not as sensitive to static. (Or are they?)

I use this tool right here.... works every time and I do not have to man handle the ic's

http://www.altex.com/IC-Extraction-Tool-10230-P143860.aspx

10230.jpg

not bad for about 3.00 dollars

briomusic said:
JohnRoberts said:
With tweezers and magnifying glasses.

I dropped one IC on the carpet and still haven't found it.

JR

I bet the day you walk across that carpet barefoot you will 'find' it  :p

As for ICs I thought only CMOS (logic) chips are super sensitive? The ones we tend to handle (op-amps, VCA's etc) are linear and as such not as sensitive to static. (Or are they?)

I have been bit by stepping on old thru hole (DIP) ICs barefoot, but doubt i would even feel a SMT chip that I can barely see.
-----
Yes, modern parts are not as easily killed as the early mosfets and some large scale ICs, BUT even simple bipolar parts can be degraded by static shocks from handling.

It's generally pretty easy to outfit a work area with a conductive floor mat. pad, etc...  If you are drawing large sparks from walking across the room, maybe you need to worry.

It is dangerous to literally ground yourself when working around electricity, but even several Meg Ohms will harmlessly discharge any static build up. There are lots of products out there.

I used to always check that factory workers were wearing ground straps despite the small number of expected failures.

JR

Hi,

op-amps and other active parts can be sensitive to ESD of course (e.g. OPA 134/2134/4134:look at the warning on page 3 top right of the datasheet!).
Therefore i always use an esd-matt with wristband,and if i am working with ICs from which i do not really know the data/ESD-sensitivity i use matt and wristband too.
So you will always be on the save side and hey:It does not hurt! :D
Also ESD-matts (not supercheap ones) are really good working-surfaces because parts do not slip arround (rubber),are easy to clean and are even resistant to solder-drops.I am about to buy a second one to extend my working-surface to 1,8 m width...

Best from germany,

Udo.

OPA134 / 2134 are FET input op-amps, and FETs tend to be sensitive to ESD. I can't think of any time a BJT-based op-amp has suffered from ESD-related failure in my hands, but I have seen one or two FET-type devices mysteriously fail...

I once worked at a place that used telecommunication ICs that cost four figures each. If you failed to test your wrist strap and sign it in every morning, you got sacked the second time.

Justin

Always check your soldering iron tip potential as well.

One factory we dealt with in China had 70V floating on the tip of the soldering iron.... And wondered why some IC's were failing after rework.

*gulp*

Latest posts

Back