Lorlin switch orientation for gssl/gpultec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigskinny

After a long day with my 2 year old I sat down to try and finish wiring 2 projects I have on the go.
Until it came time to place the switches/pots onto the control boards, I realized I have no idea if the orientation of the 2 and 4 post switches and lin/log pots as there are no markings on the boards about it.
Do I just do the obvious with the pots and wire them as they fit on the pcbs?  As far as the lorlins does it matter how they line up into the pcbs?
Help.
Frustrated and so damn close.
I've now poured myself a stiff rye and ginger.
I look forward to waking up to some helpful replies.
Grrr.

Well....

Look at the PDF on Gyrafs site. he shows switch bank with the center terminal "B" up and "A" down. Besides that you will need to set the switches to stop on the correct # of positions if needed.

I need to replace a couple switches in mine with MBB because I don't like the clicks when I turn them.

Kaz

If the shafts of your switches are round, then it actually doesn't matter which way you orient the switch. It will matter if you're using D shaped shafts and your knobs need to go on a certain way... but then, even that can be kind of gerry rigged up! Try to wrap your head around how this style of switch works and all will become clear.

A 2-pole, 6 position lorlin style switch for example:

nqvfq9.jpg

In the first position, pole 'A' is connected to pin '1', and pole 'C' is connected to pin '7'
Turn the switch one position clockwise and pole 'A' is now connected to pin '2', and pole 'C' is connected to pin '8'.
Turn the switch another position to the right and pole 'A' is now connected to pin '3' and pole 'C' is now connected to pin '9'.

You get the picture. All the stopping nut you put in does is physically stop the switch going further than a certain number of positions.

Here's a diagram of a 4 pole/3 pos switch, try to get how that works too...

2zia436.jpg

NOW... orientation.

Try to imagine in your head turning the whole thing upside down. All that has happened is 'A' is now 'C', and 'C' is now 'A'. '1' is now '7', '7' is now '1'. None of this matters to the electronics of course, the letters and numbers are there for our communication only.

Moral of the story? Stick lorlin switches in whichever way you like :)

Hope that helps.

NF.

Latest posts

Back