The "End" of pro audio ? (another china "Lethal" killer)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTYNINER

hey guys
it's really this the "End" of pro audio?
a "2 - 2 - 5 - 4" less expensive then a "d i y" ?!
??? ??? ???

ps
and the next step ?
a large "hi-end" console for less then a beh-ring-er ?

Attachments

• shit 54.png
    shit 54.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 314
Oh No  , those same meters as on the tnc chineve pres
It's like having a bad hangover and never wanting to
touch certain things again , it's still chinese quality
who would trust it

I'm not really worried about the quality of these tiny meters, I'm much more concerned about their usability. A string of LED's would be much more efficient AND reliable. Mechanical meters are a sequel of the past, but when they are that small, they're close to useless.

Try looking at LED or plasma meters for 8-10hrs then try looking at VU meters (real meters like Weston) for the same amount of time. Report back.

Gold said:
Try looking at LED or plasma meters for 8-10hrs then try looking at VU meters (real meters like Weston) for the same amount of time. Report back.
I look at meters when setting up levels and compression. That may take a few minutes. After that, I may check levels sporadically.
In fact I have no problems looking at my LED meter bridge, even for some prolongated period of time, because the linear format makes any excess stand out.
The exercise of monitoring meters is not about knowing all the levels simultaneously, it's about knowing which ones are excessive.
I have much more problems monitoring simultaneously any significant number of mechanical meters.
Plasma are not as easy on the eye as LED's.

Preferences vary and this has been well explored before. In my judgement and experience LED bar graphs are superior for viewing a multiplicity of channels at the same time to gauge relative levels between them.

Mechanical VU meters offer more resolution around 0VU for fine adjustments,

Mechanical meters are somewhat easier to read in direct sunlight outdoors.

LED meters offer the capability of embedding more information about the signal level within a single display, while some do not embrace the complexity or intrusion (more so decades ago than now). 

I suspect LED displays could be modified to be less intrusive if one must look at them for 10 hours (perhaps with threshold sensitive brightness modulation). I personally find mechanical meters harder to get useful information from, so using them longer for me just means harder for longer.

I must concede as a designer of many variant meter displays I love all my children (including the handful of mechanical meter bridges) but as I already offered I always added peak LEDs to mechanical displays to at least give some visibility into headroom. 

JR

I deal only with stereo program so my frame of reference is narrow. I look at the VU meters all day. It's pretty critical in my line of work. I also have mechanical PPM's in the meter panel for the console I'm building. The NTP plasma meters are the nicest I've seen but still make me dizzy. I'm able to make good judgements with VU meters but it does take experience and you have to fill in the blanks somewhat. With the experience I think it's a nice way to display the information. I like a nice CRT phase scope too. I've never seen an LCD display that didn't look funny. Too much latency even on the best ones like NTP or DK.

Samuel Groner said:
Try looking at LED or plasma meters for 8-10 hrs.

I don't know about others but in a recording session I'm looking at meters for 8-10 min, for the following 8-10 hrs I'm listening (and reading the score)...

Samuel

The difference between a track/mix engineer and a mastering engineer.  You both win.  ;)

Hi,

I use whatever is there, led ladder, plasma, whatever. I can work out what is a-gwannin, ESPECIALLY when combined with my ears . . .

however, I do have a couple of ancient large Weston vu meters, conveniently attached to Bantam Patch leads, in my rucksack. I can just tell more about what is really going on with these puppies than anything else! I also like to introduce wayward neer-do-wells to the concept of 0vu in a modern digital arena, and how fricken easy it is to balance a recording when this magic figure is NOT exceeded(too much). I HATE mixing stuff that requires severe attenuation to make it possible to mix without all me faders at the BOTTOM of the hill . . . .

I have supplied half-a-dozen new hot bloods with various old meters from my boxes of junk over the last few years, and they are all still using them. I like how I can track the compression from the chnge in balistics.

Am I getting old . . . . .

ANdyP

Back